issue with starting - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 02:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
issue with starting

ok so i bought a ccsb 7.3 on feb 21st with 356k on it. I've been driving it to and from work since and have had no problems with it staring, not plugged in at all during this time. I came home last night and my low fuel lights just came on a few blocks from the house so i just went home and decided i'd plug it in for the first time since i owned it. I came out this morning and unplugged the truck and got in it and went to start it and noticed the fuel was now reading at about an eighth of a tank waited to start and cranked right up, went back in the house and was messing around for 5 minutes and heard my truck die. I went back out and tried to restart it and nothing so i went to the gas station and got 5 gallons of gas put it in and still nothing so i started it with starting fluid which i know is not a good thing. Once the starting fluid burns off it will not stay running. Any help would be greatly appreciated. And i don't think i ran it out of fuel but i cant be certain. oh and this is my first post so hello to all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2013, 03:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Open the fuel filter water drain and turn the key on. If you hear the fuel pump run when you turn the key on see if you are getting fuel out of the filter drain line under the truck. This will tell you if you are getting fuel to the filter. If you ran it out of fuel it will take some time to get the air out of the system.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
welcome to the org

open fuel filter cap and see if there is any fuel in it. prob ran out of fuel. it make take more than 5 gallons to get it primed. i would not start it on starting fluid, if it won't start there is something wrong and starting fluid will only make it worse.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

well in fact i did run it out of gas i have to get the gauge fixed i think it reads a little off
Old 02-26-2013, 10:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaks View Post
ok so i bought a ccsb 7.3 on feb 21st with 356k on it. I've been driving it to and from work since and have had no problems with it staring, not plugged in at all during this time. I came home last night and my low fuel lights just came on a few blocks from the house so i just went home and decided i'd plug it in for the first time since i owned it. I came out this morning and unplugged the truck and got in it and went to start it and noticed the fuel was now reading at about an eighth of a tank waited to start and cranked right up, went back in the house and was messing around for 5 minutes and heard my truck die. I went back out and tried to restart it and nothing so i went to the gas station and got 5 gallons of gas put it in and still nothing so i started it with starting fluid which i know is not a good thing. Once the starting fluid burns off it will not stay running. Any help would be greatly appreciated. And i don't think i ran it out of fuel but i cant be certain. oh and this is my first post so hello to all!
Your motor will not like this
Old 02-27-2013, 01:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

yea i meant diesel its my first one so im getting used to it not calling it gas all the time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.