Tuners, and Cold Air Intakes? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 05:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SCT Tuner, and a K&N Air Intake for a 7.3???

I have a 2001 ford F-250, I recently heard that a K&N air intakes are bad for you're turbo, and I have one. So First of all what air intake should I go with? I also know that an SCT tuner is great for the 6.0L, but is it a good tuner for the 7.3L? If it's not, what do you recomend?

Thanks,

Last edited by Brettt; 02-26-2013 at 06:27 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2013, 07:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettt View Post
I have a 2001 ford F-250, I recently heard that a K&N air intakes are bad for you're turbo, and I have one. So First of all what air intake should I go with? I also know that an SCT tuner is great for the 6.0L, but is it a good tuner for the 7.3L? If it's not, what do you recomend?

Thanks,
First off, Welcome to the.org.

I would suggest doing a Airraid or equivalent intake system. The SCT X3 is a nice unit for the 7.3, but lacks the ability to switch on the fly and to monitors the vitals of the trucks. A must is gauges, either analog or digital. Most 7.3l owners do a chip and gauges to start with. Intake and exhaust would be next on the list. Something to use for when the SES light pops on would be a good thing to have on hand. First thing to do is give it a good maintenance evaluation to see if anything needs updated or changed. For ex: Oil, fluids, sensors, etc.

We carry all of the mods you are looking for. Let us know if we can help.

Diane
Old 02-26-2013, 08:53 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

on the cheap a 6637 style air filter is hard to beat, A SCT is fine for a 7.3 but like mentioned above you cant switch tunes on the fly, one good thing about them is you can pull your codes and monitor stuff with them. Also if you ever upgrade to a 6.0 in the future the tuner can go with you.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

What about the SCT Livewire tuner, does it not change on the fly?
Old 02-26-2013, 09:48 AM

Re: Tuners, and Cold Air Intakes?

DIY intake/6637 filter is yer best bsng for the buck... straight pipe the stock exhaust... gauges, boost, egt,and trans temp if auto, then a good chip. I have DP Tuners on 2 of my trks and will have one on the Excursion when the wife lets it happen. The above mods can be done for $500-$900 depending on installation cost and where you get parts. I picked up one of my DP's used for $150 and had another $150 in a reburn/adding tunes, about $150-$200 savings... did my own straight piping so it was basicly free... got about $35 in filter/intake mods. Gauges can be had for $300-$350 thru summet for auto meters and piller pod.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 02-26-2013, 09:50 AM

I am not 100% sure but I think all the SCT products are "flash" programmers which flash a new program to the factory computer which takes some time. Not like a chip that allows you to switch on the fly as often as you want within seconds.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My truck is straight piped with 5" down pipe back, and has a 5" stack, and it is an automatic. So you would recomend a DIY/6637, and a DP Tuner? And my mind is more set on getting a power programmer that mounts on my dash, and changes on the fly.

2001 Ford F-250 7.3l Powerstroke, 8" Suspension Lift, K&N Cold Air Intake, Bully Dog GT Tuner, Straight Pipe 5" Exhaust.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:48 AM

Good choices. I'm not sure about a dash mount tuner that switches on the fly, also there are also other tuner options you can look at. PHP has their Gryphon. I think innovative and quick tricks tune the live wire TS but I'm not 100% sure for the 7.3 but just other options with different features/price points
Old 02-26-2013, 10:56 AM

There are about a thousand threads on the different tuners and their styles, use the search button and you can get all the answers you need just put in "best tuner"
Old 02-26-2013, 01:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettt View Post
My truck is straight piped with 5" down pipe back, and has a 5" stack, and it is an automatic. So you would recomend a DIY/6637, and a DP Tuner? And my mind is more set on getting a power programmer that mounts on my dash, and changes on the fly.

2001 Ford F-250 7.3l Powerstroke, 8" Suspension Lift, K&N Cold Air Intake, Bully Dog GT Tuner, Straight Pipe 5" Exhaust.
Have you checked out our Infinity? It will not switch tunes on the fly(because it is a programmer), but it will do everything else you are looking for.

HERE is a link to it.

Also, in the near future you will be able to connect the Infinity to a multi-position chip(such as our F5 and F6). This will enable the Infinity to change the tunes on the chip(which can be done on the fly).

Let me know if you have any questions. I'll be glad to help you out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.