Looking for mechanic- Birmingham, Al - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 03:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Looking for mechanic- Birmingham, Al

I am looking for a good 7.3 mechanic in the Birmingham area. If anyone has any reccomendations please reply.

Thank you,

Trent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2013, 05:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

adam lowery - runs diesel unlimited in alabaster. great guy and mechanic.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

whats goin on?
Old 02-24-2013, 05:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks bwvick. I will check him out.
Timmyboy76... I have an oil and tranny leak, no big deal, and may need to replace injectors and glow plugs, etc. Just the basic upkeep. I would like to find someone competent and honest to service my truck. I use A local family owned service center for oil changes and tire rotation, but they don't have a diesel mechanic.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:34 PM

if ur a basic shadetree mechanic / turn a wrench..you can fix the leak/s yourself, giv'n you want to or have the tools

Oil leak can be from atop the motor, in the "valley". Climb up top and look down in the middle of motor with a flashlight. If oil is under the hpop/fuelbowl, then ur leak is from there..hpop...the non-servicable plug on the hpop which can be service, or an oring at the hpop line/s..also could be fuel, from the fuelbowl drain valve..notorious for that. If oil is under the turbo area, then more than likely the turbo pedestal is leaking...EBPV rod.

The oil then puddles up in the valley which then drains thru a small hole and into the bellhousing area, giving the look of a rear main seal leak.

The tranny could be just the vent tube clogged causing the leak. Inspect it, and see.

Do some googling, and you'll get stepxstep instructions for pretty much everything. Once you start removing the IC pipes and spider assy, thee entire engine bay opens up. Not intimidating at all, pretty easy to wrench on these things.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I let a mechanic that services my big trucks look at my 7.3. He seems to be knowledgable. However, his guy said I have a rear main seal leak, which I think is unlikely. After questioning the mechanic further he admitted he wasn't sure if it was leaking there.. He only suspected. I suspected, as you mentioned, a leak higher up on the motor. I tend to look for the least costly repair and move forward from there. That is why I am looking for a knowledgable mechanic. I am handy with tools and am not afraid to tackle a project...my problem is time. I work long hours(12-14) per day. So I need to drop off my truck and let some one handle some of the bigger things for me. My truck is an 01 with 239k easy miles. Truck looks great and runs well. The reason I think injectors need replacing.. Surge feeling while driving with out the cruise on and at lower RPMs...
Old 02-25-2013, 04:35 AM

i hear ya RTH. Probably the last thing i wanna do is do ANYTHING, after 14hrs of work...

The surge could be fuel related. The in tank screens are known to plug up. A great fix/mod, is the "in tank" mod.

If willing to spend a few buks, and learn the truck "well", the best purchase is an AE..(AutoEnginuity). Another alternative to it, is the AEROFORCE Interceptor gauge or ScanGauge II. I lke the Aeroforce, since it does injector buzz test and cyl contr. test...

If wanting to drop off to mechanic, I would recommend you having, parts in hand...THIS should take care of all and later probs down the road..

Riffraff Diesel: "Mechanics Parts Cabinet" Combo kit

RTH, look into you/mechanic doing this also...http://www.guzzle7pt3.com/ebps.php

If plug under hpop leaking...Riffraff Diesel: Serviceable Long Threaded HPOP plug

I you dont want to "gut" the EBPV...Riffraff Diesel: Exhaust Back Pressure Valve Piston Rebuild

If you do want to gut it, its a simple, remove the assy and tap the hole and plug it up or plug/weld it. Then gut the EBPV itself inthe exhaust side. I just open the flapper and tack weld the outside flapper rod.

Last edited by timmyboy76; 02-25-2013 at 04:43 AM. Reason: more info
Old 02-25-2013, 07:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the info. You have been a great source. One thing about the surge. It does not surge when the cruise is set. It only does it when my foot is on the accelerator. I suspect fuel issue.. Either not enough pressure, trash in the tank,or an injector issue. I have used diesel clean and the hot shot oil additive. Still surges some. This site, and others, have been great as far as feed back and trouble shooting. I am going to look at the info you sent and start there.
Thanks
Old 03-31-2013, 02:38 PM
Serving Our Country!

Any follow up on your experience with this mechanic? I'm looking for a guy farther south but could make the drive north if it was worth it

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.