Noob here - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 12:35 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Noob here

I am new to diesel's. I have a 01 250 with the 7.3 and I was wanting to know what i should do to help make her run a little better!? I already have a K&N filter, EGT and boost Gauges,Banks FMIC and banks exhaust.
She sounds really good and pulls like a champ. I am looking into a DP tuner and was wanting to know if there was anything else I could do?
I am a automotive tech and am trying to get into the diesel, so If I ask any thing that you may feel is a "dumb" question, remember I am new with this.
I am open to any ideas...the one thing I am wondering about the most is if i decide to install the DPtuner/logger, will I have to upgrade my injectors!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2013, 12:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by centerfitt View Post
I am new to diesel's. I have a 01 250 with the 7.3 and I was wanting to know what i should do to help make her run a little better!? I already have a K&N filter, EGT and boost Gauges,Banks FMIC and banks exhaust.
She sounds really good and pulls like a champ. I am looking into a DP tuner and was wanting to know if there was anything else I could do?
I am a automotive tech and am trying to get into the diesel, so If I ask any thing that you may feel is a "dumb" question, remember I am new with this.
I am open to any ideas...the one thing I am wondering about the most is if i decide to install the DPtuner/logger, will I have to upgrade my injectors!?
We would be happy to get you setup with some tunes.

No, you will not need to upgrade your injectors to run any of our tunes.

I am assuming you are referring to our Infinity programmer/monitor? If so, let me know if you have any questions about it.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:02 AM
Behavior Modificationist

Hey

First piece of advice (everybody reading this knows it's coming ): Lose the K&N
The K&N products do not filter well enough for our diesels. The search application on this site will yield MUCH information as to why.

Justin already beat me to the second question

Is your PSD an auto or manual? If it's an auto, you should consider monitoring the trans temp. The 4r100 trans is the weakest link from the engine to the ground and is commonly a failure point. Consider upgrading the valve body and absolutely install a larger than stock trans cooler.

Any other questions, just ask
Old 02-21-2013, 11:19 AM

at Justin, I have been in contact with you via E mail. I have decided that I am going to go with the set up you have recommended. I love the idea of being able to keep an eye on my pids while driving and keeps me from riding around with my scan tool...lol... At Mr. Ag tires, thanks for the info. What would you suggest I install to replace the K&N? When I bought the truck that was already installed. As for as the trans go, can you also recommend a trans cooler that works well for a stock auto tranny. So for at this point and time at having 219xxx shes doing real good so far.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:45 AM

a lot of people use the trans cooler from a 6.0 liter.
pick up a 6637 filter from napa or fleetfilters.com
much better filtration.
or riffraffdiesel sells them too
ive seen other tranny coolers like the tru cool max also.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
at Justin, I have been in contact with you via E mail. I have decided that I am going to go with the set up you have recommended. I love the idea of being able to keep an eye on my pids while driving and keeps me from riding around with my scan tool...lol... At Mr. Ag tires, thanks for the info. What would you suggest I install to replace the K&N? When I bought the truck that was already installed. As for as the trans go, can you also recommend a trans cooler that works well for a stock auto tranny. So for at this point and time at having 219xxx shes doing real good so far.
Oh okay. I remember your e-mails now. You will be very happy with the Infinity.

Feel free to contact me if you have any other questions.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:23 PM
Behavior Modificationist

Quote:
Exactly what is stated above. Ideally, get a 6.0 trans cooler but most aftermarket coolers in conjunction with the stock cooler will extend the life of trans oil.

I swapped the filter off of my K&N system for a 6637. It fits right on the end of the existing K&N intake, no problem. Better filtration will keep your turbo happy and prevent premature wear on the #8 cylinder.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:48 PM

thanks guys, this will help out a lot. I would like to see it spool up a little faster, but she spools up good for now. Im not trying to build a super truck, this something that runs good and pulls great. Would love to get better MPG but the only way to do that is to keep my foot off of the throttle LOL and keep it below 2k
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.