What should I go with? 7.3 upgrades? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 07:05 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What should I go with? 7.3 upgrades?

I just bought an 03 with the 7.3L. It has 107000 miles. (Got a steal)

Anyways the guy claimed he got 21mpg. With a drop in k&n filter and straight pipe being the only upgrades. First thing I did was yank that dern k&n out of it and stuck a Fram in for the time being. I assume that will hurt my mpg a little.

My question is this. What upgrades should I go with that a safe and will improve the longevity of it in the long run. I've been looking at the S&B CAI. Heard good things about them and they look cool. Also heard good things about the banks ram air. Who of you have used these and what are your likes/dislikes?

I've also looked the banks big head actuator. Is this okay for a stock turbo? Will it help? The banks trans command as well. I don't pull much at all but it claims to improve the trans shifting.

I don't know if I want to chip it just yet. I had a ts performance on my last 7.3 and it was a good chip. Is there anything better out there for the 7.3?

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2013, 07:06 AM

Also forgot to put this in as well. Out of all those upgrades what will help the mpg the most as well?
Old 02-19-2013, 07:18 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

If you want it to live long, change all the fluids. If you want good mileage drive it nice and keep your rpm's under 2000 and don't lift it. It's hard to beat a 6637 style air filter for the price. I like gauges for piece of mind without a chip, with a chip they are a must. I love my PHP Hydra chip. I stay away from most banks products, there are usually better options.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Intake, exhaust, and gauges should be the first mods you do. Once those are taken care of, then you could put a tune on it.

We have the Infinity monitor/programmer that will work as both your gauges, and your tuner. It will also read/clear DTC's, monitor all generic and Ford enhanced data that the PCM sees, run diagnostic tests(KOEO/KOER, buzz, cylinder contribution, glow plug), datalog, play media, and more. You can also add additional sensors to it to monitor other parameters that the PCM does not see. This would include things such as EGT, and fuel pressure. You can check it out HERE for more info.

The main factors for good mileage are driving habits and the mechanical condition of the truck.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

definately gauges...trans temp, egt's, boost....are the most common....some guys will add fuel pressure also...

the 6637 kit from RiffRaff diesel is the best deal on the market....has all the equipment to go from stock to great air flow...and if you are bringin a lot of air in, it has to be able to leave just as fast so a good pipe will make mpgs go up...

all in all i guess im just solidifying what these other guys are saying. I too have an '03 7.3L....so I had the same questions

pm me if you need anything
Old 02-20-2013, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt90 View Post
definately gauges...trans temp, egt's, boost....are the most common....some guys will add fuel pressure also...

the 6637 kit from RiffRaff diesel is the best deal on the market....has all the equipment to go from stock to great air flow...and if you are bringin a lot of air in, it has to be able to leave just as fast so a good pipe will make mpgs go up...

all in all i guess im just solidifying what these other guys are saying. I too have an '03 7.3L....so I had the same questions

pm me if you need anything

ok i was reading your signature... How is the waste gate acuator treating you? Do you like it? is it worth the money? I found some on banks brand acuators on ebay for around a 100.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:13 AM

Another thing... As i said i have the exhaust... Im really leaning towards the S&B. I really like the look of that set up.. I had the 6637 on an 02 i owned a while back and it was alright.

I felt though like it was picking up too much hot air from the engine with such an open design. (mine was the pipe to the filter, no housing or anything around it.)

Heres yet another question.... before everyone scolds it. Here it goes..... does anyone run the CFM intake manifold? Ive read on here everyone hates it, its just a waste of money, all your paying for is the shiny paint.. etc. etc..

i watched a video on youtube.. 4x4 tv i believe. that did the install of the intake on a 7.3. Once he removed the stock intake he went over the differences of the two and why the CFM would help with it being 2 pieces vs. the stock being one... Does everyone still hate it or is there anyone out there that has tried and believed it to be more than a shiny engine dress up??
Old 02-20-2013, 07:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
i have the S&B intake on my work truck.. it works great and is one of the best bang for the bucks intake available...

i still feel the CFM manifold is a waste of money..... get the intake, gauges and then a tuner...

on top of that i would highly recommend getting a larger trans cooler.

if you need any prices dont hesitate to ask

-Raul
Old 02-20-2013, 09:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by crshelton21 View Post
ok i was reading your signature... How is the waste gate acuator treating you? Do you like it? is it worth the money? I found some on banks brand acuators on ebay for around a 100.

most of my upgrades were done to my truck with....the only thing I did was change the fluids, add the gauges, and new 6" tip...So I dont know how much it actually cost
Old 02-21-2013, 05:47 AM

can you tell any difference with it though?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
7.3, powerstroke

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.