Found a 7.3 need advice from veteran owners - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 02:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Found a 7.3 need advice from veteran owners

Ive really been wanting a 7.3 and today I found a 99 f250 with 130,000 miles.

First off does anyone know anybody that can still pull an oasis report without me going to a dealer? And can I tell if it had PMRs by the vin?

I was careful about looking it over as the price is really almost too good to be true, though the owner doesn't speak English, so I was communicating through his boss who is a local diesel mechanic.

I looked over ever inch of it, andnoticed it had two oil leaks. Oil/dirt has collected on the rear and bottom parts of the engine and pan, and also on the transfer case. It was parked on dirt but I still didn't see any drips or puddles. I then started it, popped the hood and removed the oil cap little to no blow by. Trans fluid appeared slightly dark but smelled ok. I then got in and put it in reverse and noticed the shifter has a considerable amount of play (reverse was somewhere between P and R on the indicator). I believe it's common for the cables to stretch? Going down the road it had good power and shifted good, but definitely needs ball joints and or tie rod end links. When I got back it was good and warmed up so I checked for blow by again and still little to none.

For the price I could fix the front end, and shift cable and still be ahead but Im weary of the leaks... Thanks in advance for advice, I'm not new to fords or diesels, but I don't have much knowledge of 7.3s other than what I have read off of here in the last few months of lurking...

Is there anything I might have missed that should be checked?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2013, 02:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

If the motor is the original 99 motor it shouldn't have pmr.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Also the sloppy shifter could be the two torq screws on the column loose, very common.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:57 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Why the hell would you want an OASIS on a truck that hasn't been to the dealer in probably, oh, 8 years? Only thing recent it would show is maybe the CPS if it was done.

Shifter slop is normal, can easily be fixed as mentioned earlier.

Leaks... seems like I fix one and another starts. As long as it's not spraying oil anywhere, it's good.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I think Im going to buy it if I can get my f150 sold. Figured it wouldn't hurt to see it...
Old 02-19-2013, 06:59 AM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaairman View Post
Why the hell would you want an OASIS on a truck that hasn't been to the dealer in probably, oh, 8 years? Only thing recent it would show is maybe the CPS if it was done.

Shifter slop is normal, can easily be fixed as mentioned earlier.

Leaks... seems like I fix one and another starts. As long as it's not spraying oil anywhere, it's good.
I had an Oasis report done on my 2000. I bought mine in 2010. It was 3 pages long. It had a lot of good information in it. Of course nothing really recent but I knew a better history of the truck and that the glow plug relay melted with only 10k miles on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.