Intro and stuff "new to me" 7.3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 07:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Intro and stuff "new to me" 7.3

First, I wanted to introduce myself.

Name is Dave and I've chosen to get a Powerstroke for a trailer my wife and I plan on purchasing.

So, without further blabber, I'll get onto some stuff that perhaps you all can give me some pointers on.

Looking at a 99' F250, and the truck itself is pretty damn clean for its age and miles.

The usual things such as religious fluid changes and checks to certain things will keep nearly any vehicle on the road for many miles.

I'll be picking up a basically 230k mile 7.3L

It does have provision in the bed for a 5th wheel hitch, so I can totally be sure it was used for heavier loads, but being a single axle I'm hoping it wasn't overworked much. I am aware of the trans overheating, weak spot stuff from my late fathers experiences with his 350 dually. He never had to do work on it, but when I drove it he was ADAMANT about making sure the trans was not slipping (TC locked) or to be easy on her. He passed away, and unfortunately I didn't get the truck.

This trans was replaced by an unknown shop 15k miles ago, which to me is a boon. I'm not worried about the engine, the current owner has decent maintenance records for a vehicle this age.

What are some quirks that I should be looking for? There are a couple things I'm going to have to take care of first off. Oil pressure and voltage gauge are pretty much pegged. All other gauges work so I'm pretty confident its some sort of a gauge cluster or sender issue, perhaps wiring. Injectors were rebuilt last month to take care of a miss.

It was a reputable shop in the area, and got a chance to talk with the mechanic. He replaced the one the computer pointed too, but it didn't fix the issue. Removed them all next and benched them and they were all over the board, so the other 7 were replaced. CEL is still lit, owner didn't have the code fixed but it was for something glow plugs low voltage (from the mechanic and on the invoice). It did start great from bone cold (felt the turbo first thing at the first underhood inspection).

So, these things while I don't know about in the powerstroke world, but for someone who is decent enough at some backyard wrenchin, shouldn't be a big deal. (I hear these powerstrokes are decently easy to fix, just spendy parts)

Sorry for the long read I guess. But

What issues or signs should I be looking for? I drove one recently that had a rear end clunk during a sharp turn probably posi something needed new fluid and traction additive. (Not even sure if thats normal for these trucks). Strange noises or something I should watch out for? What is good condition fuel mileage supposed to be like unloaded?

Other than a straight pipe, and what appears to be a backyard style open element factory airbox do-hickey aircleaner, no other known "mods". Hoping to learn what common things I might should keep an eye on, not skeered to do repairs.

When I get 'er home going to change all the fluids, I use synthetic in all my vehicles it'll get the same treatment. Hoping for some pointers.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2013, 08:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Nothing yet eh?

Well, brought 'er home tonight. Runs beautiful as far as I can tell, for all I know, all the Powerstrokes I've driven while shopping don't run right

Anyway. One thing I did notice after bringing it home. The AC compressor runs on and off (running heat, floor and vent selected). I figure it might run when like, defrost or whatever was selected.. And, there was a bit of ice and frost on the metal compressor lines headed into the AC Box thingy.

Unsure if thats normal I guess. I know I've seen frost on the lines on my Pathy, but the compressor won't cycle or run unless I've got defrost selected (and of course running the actual AC).
Old 02-14-2013, 10:38 PM
Super Moderator

Glad to have you Dave - to the ORG!!

If you plan on doing a lot of towing, which is sounds like you might in you're looking for a trailer, you might want to look into getting a 31-row trans cooler from a 6.0L (There are threads on the "how-to" aspect of that) I did it to my '01 and it made a big difference pulling my 5er.

Mileage - (See my sig) I get 11-13 city - 12-15 mix city/hwy and 17-18 open highway.

Issues: Oil / fuel leaks. There are o-rings in several places that sometimes wear out leaving things to leak. The rear end clunk could have been the limited slip especially if it didn't have the friction modifier in it.
A popular air cleaner set up on here is the 6637 DIY mod. You can do a search in the "Google Custom Search" box up under the PowerStroke.org logo.

Changing the fluids is probably a good idea - At least you'll know for sure they were changed and you'll be able to use that mileage number to keep track of when it's due again.

Not sure on the AC Compressor. I'll have to listen for mine. Either mine doesn't do it or I've gotten so used to it that I don't hear it anymore.

BTW - there is the Cascade Coal Roller chapter for OR/WA folks:
The Cascade Coal Rollers - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
It would be a way to find folks that are local to you, so you can meet them face-to-face and maybe some could help out.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thank you for the welcome.

This particular truck doesn't have any leaks whatsoever, which is nice and no fuel smells from under the hood. My TDI smokes more at first start and idle for the first few minutes. hehe

I couldn't hear the compressor. Just when I got 'er home popped the hood, just because being a car guy you want to look at your new engine and noticed that the AC compressor lines were quite frosted, and icy. Wasn't running the AC, and I'm not sure if that is normal for these trucks.

Not that I'd mind too much, keeping the humidity out and such, but shouldn't that only happen when defrost is selected? I've no idea. Basically this one at the moment is going to have AC water drip year round.

It also has a pretty large aftermarket Hayden transcooler. Its not the fin and tube either, its the stacked plate design which should be superior. During the drive home the trans gauge never went over 120, which is almost too cold. My Pathys trans doesn't really like to shift right until fluid is 160 or so.

I'll take a look into that club there as well.

Again, thanks for the welcome!.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.