keep blowing fuses - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 04:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
keep blowing fuses

i have a 99 250 7.3 auto 4x4. i keep blowing my fuse for my trailer light left turn lamp. fuse box located under the hood. i know the trailer is good cause i have hooked it to my suburban and no fuses pop and everything works 100%. everything else works fine just not left turn. i have running lights including the left side. everything works fine on just the truck. im really stumped by this issue. im supposed to tow about 500 miles this weekend and id like to have everything in working order.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2013, 07:14 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mine just started doing this! I bought a used enclosed trailer and it started when I got this trailer! My open trailer never blew it out. Not sure what the deal is because my friend pulled the trailer with his 99 F250 and it didn't have any issues. I even bumped up the fuse in amperage and converted the tail lights over to LED for less amp draw.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:26 AM

keep blowing fuses

Trace the pigtail coming out of the bumper. I changed mine out & had to reroute it. I blew several fuses and found the spare tire rubbing through the wires on the pigtail.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 02-20-2013, 10:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i got rid of my spare. just not big eneugh to do anything for me. i will trace the pigtail and see if there is any rubbing anywhere.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

well no luck so far. cant see any rubbing with the harness anywhere. also new problem...i just bought a enclosed trailer. my truck came with a brake controller that the previous owner installed. i have no trailer brakes. i get power to the controller and power to the pin on the round plug. i know the trailer is ok cause again it works fine on my suburban. is there a way to test the controller itself? i dont want to replace it if it aint broke.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:18 AM
Serving Our Country!

I can't see to find anything either. I hooked my truck up to it the other day and turned the signal on. I had someone watch and I shook every wire I could find from the back of the 7-pin up to the front wiring harness hoping it would short somewhere. Even did the same thing on the trailer. Fuse did not blow or short so I'm stumped.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:27 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

mine does the same thing. Hook up toyhauler, BAM, goes fuse. Install new, no problems for entire trip...
Old 03-15-2013, 08:37 AM
Serving Our Country!

Mine seems to blow randomly. I pulled over an hour away to a race track, everything worked fine and we even checked it once we got there because we were having issues. About 7 hours later I'm backing up and we have no left brake or turn on the trailer.

The only thing I haven't elminated is if backing up has something to do with it. Maybe a wire in the 7-pin or plug is touching and when putting in reverse the reverse lights are causing it to short some how. Interesting idea now that I think about it because I can't remember all of the "tests" I did to try to get it to blow.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:52 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

prior to leave'n the other week for mx race, trailer hooked up, went to test lights on her, and when i hit the "hazard" button..BAM, all went south, lol.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:24 AM
Serving Our Country!

I guess let me clarify. I had left turn and brake when backing up and pulling out. By the time I made it to the highway I had none.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.