Is synthetic tranny fluid worth the cost - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 07:25 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is synthetic tranny fluid worth the cost

I was going to change the transmission fluid and power steering fluid and was thinking about going with synthetic. Is the extra cost worth it, can you tell any difference between the two?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2013, 08:02 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
IMHO,,,, Synthetics, for the most part, are all about three things.

#1 It makes you Feel Good to use them (you're REALLY taking care of your truck, not like most others ). It's like changing your HPOP oil...

#2 They are the "Answer to the nonexistent Problem". Sure, they will withstand Temps & Abuse you'll Never see.

#3 SNAKE OIL SALESMEN who will try to convince you that #2 isn't true so you give them your money....

That being said, I run 5W-40 Rotella because it's lower viscosity really does make a difference in Winter Starts (and, I guess, I can afford to use it so I do). If you have ANY money concerns about filling your trans with that expensive stuff, DON'T DO IT! The expectations that your Trans (Engine, Diff, TC, Whatever) will last longer or Shift better and be worth the investment, See #3

OK, now bring-on the 1/2 dz Amsol "dealers",,,)
Old 02-11-2013, 08:43 AM

Thats about what I suspected. Thanks
Old 02-11-2013, 09:17 AM

Send a message via AIM to rufushusky
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post
IMHO,,,, Synthetics, for the most part, are all about three things.

#1 It makes you Feel Good to use them (you're REALLY taking care of your truck, not like most others ). It's like changing your HPOP oil...

#2 They are the "Answer to the nonexistent Problem". Sure, they will withstand Temps & Abuse you'll Never see.

#3 SNAKE OIL SALESMEN who will try to convince you that #2 isn't true so you give them your money....

That being said, I run 5W-40 Rotella because it's lower viscosity really does make a difference in Winter Starts (and, I guess, I can afford to use it so I do). If you have ANY money concerns about filling your trans with that expensive stuff, DON'T DO IT! The expectations that your Trans (Engine, Diff, TC, Whatever) will last longer or Shift better and be worth the investment, See #3

OK, now bring-on the 1/2 dz Amsol "dealers",,,)
Basically took the words right out of my mouth.

If you are going to run extended intervals or extreme conditions (like operating your truck in the arctic circle or on Mercury) then synthetics IMHO are a waste of $$. The big selling point of 5w40s is cold start, personally my 15w40 and stancor relay handle everything my SE Mass winters can throw at it.

The only synthetic fluid I have in my truck is the rear diff cause I probably won't touch it for another 100k. My x-case, ps fluid, engine oil, trans fluid etc etc are all conventional and work just fine.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:57 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by rufushusky View Post
Basically took the words right out of my mouth
WOW! High Praise from a guy who, I consider to be, the "oil expert" on the Forum
Old 02-11-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post
WOW! High Praise from a guy who, I consider to be, the "oil expert" on the Forum
Expert? What expert?

I am more OCD.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:34 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to kendallcschm
honestly I've seen alot of research for synthetic motor oils and gear oils that state its better than traditional and you don't have to change it as frequently as conventional oils... trans fluid i have never seen research on but i'd say go for the synthetics.. i'd rather be poor maintaining my truck and have peace of mind that poor fixing it and be pissy
Old 02-11-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendallcschm View Post
honestly I've seen alot of research for synthetic motor oils and gear oils that state its better than traditional and you don't have to change it as frequently as conventional oils... trans fluid i have never seen research on but i'd say go for the synthetics.. i'd rather be poor maintaining my truck and have peace of mind that poor fixing it and be pissy
"Better" is such a relative word... the by far biggest advantage that synthetics have is cold flow. Conventionals oils, all things being equal, can't compete...other properties of oil... TBN retention, additive package solvency etc they are far more even IMHO.

I have nothing against synthetics but like everything they have their limitations and based on my maintenance schedule (oil changes every 7500 miles, change the trans fluid every 30-45k, PS fluid every other year, etc) it just doesn't make any sense.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Re: Is synthetic tranny fluid worth the cost

I'm sure there is a reason Brian at BTS and John Wood both highly recommend using synthetic for their transmissions.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
Old 02-12-2013, 05:22 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to kendallcschm
Quote:
Originally Posted by hucorey View Post
I'm sure there is a reason Brian at BTS and John Wood both highly recommend using synthetic for their transmissions.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
pretty much what i'm saying, people on here wouldn't always be switching to synthetics if they didn't work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.