Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Is synthetic tranny fluid worth the cost

3K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  AnthonyU 
#1 ·
I was going to change the transmission fluid and power steering fluid and was thinking about going with synthetic. Is the extra cost worth it, can you tell any difference between the two?

#2 ·
IMHO,,,, Synthetics, for the most part, are all about three things.

#1 It makes you Feel Good to use them (you're REALLY taking care of your truck, not like most others ;) ). It's like changing your HPOP oil...

#2 They are the "Answer to the nonexistent Problem". Sure, they will withstand Temps & Abuse you'll Never see.

#3 SNAKE OIL SALESMEN who will try to convince you that #2 isn't true so you give them your money.... :D

That being said, I run 5W-40 Rotella because it's lower viscosity really does make a difference in Winter Starts (and, I guess, I can afford to use it so I do). If you have ANY money concerns about filling your trans with that expensive stuff, DON'T DO IT! The expectations that your Trans (Engine, Diff, TC, Whatever) will last longer or Shift better and be worth the investment, See #3 :wink[3]:

OK, now bring-on the 1/2 dz Amsol "dealers",,,)

#4 ·
Basically took the words right out of my mouth.

If you are going to run extended intervals or extreme conditions (like operating your truck in the arctic circle or on Mercury) then synthetics IMHO are a waste of $$. The big selling point of 5w40s is cold start, personally my 15w40 and stancor relay handle everything my SE Mass winters can throw at it.

The only synthetic fluid I have in my truck is the rear diff cause I probably won't touch it for another 100k. My x-case, ps fluid, engine oil, trans fluid etc etc are all conventional and work just fine.

#7 ·
honestly I've seen alot of research for synthetic motor oils and gear oils that state its better than traditional and you don't have to change it as frequently as conventional oils... trans fluid i have never seen research on but i'd say go for the synthetics.. i'd rather be poor maintaining my truck and have peace of mind that poor fixing it and be pissy

#8 ·
"Better" is such a relative word... the by far biggest advantage that synthetics have is cold flow. Conventionals oils, all things being equal, can't compete...other properties of oil... TBN retention, additive package solvency etc they are far more even IMHO.

I have nothing against synthetics but like everything they have their limitations and based on my maintenance schedule (oil changes every 7500 miles, change the trans fluid every 30-45k, PS fluid every other year, etc) it just doesn't make any sense.

#10 ·
pretty much what i'm saying, people on here wouldn't always be switching to synthetics if they didn't work.

#16 ·
Only thing I know about synthetic vs conventional is:

My 99 has 480K on Rotella T non-synthetic.
My 02 has 490K on the original trans with non-synthetic fluid in it. (I just got it but it has been a company truck (Company I work for) sense having about 30K on it)

Only research I have is the truck in my yard but for me why change what works.

490K on the original transmission is no joke. It still works but I am guessing it will need new clutches in the no so distant future. No real slipping but the fluid is not really red any more.

#18 ·
If some of you guys talk to Brian from BTS for an extended period of time he will flat out tell you that in a stock converter truck not to run Syn. even with his valve body. In a modified trans truck lets say a truck with his tranny package for example with the converter he will tell you to run syn. Now the difference between the two is in the converter a stock converter on has about 40 square inches of surface area with syn. fluid it makes the plates way to slippery and there is a loss of surface area because your not going to get that full grab in the converter. In the converter that he uses it has 120 sq inches of surface area that grab for lock up now see the difference its ok in his tranny to run syn. because of the amount of plate surface. I cannot speak for John Wood but I could only assume that he has the same philosophy and the same type of set up. Just a little info I thought I would pass along to fellow readers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.