Loss of power injectors? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2013, 07:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Loss of power injectors?

Ok, still having a loss of power and vibration at low rpm's. I replaced the icp and thought that fixed it, it did seem noticeable better for a while but now it's back. The icp I ended up with was a Motorcraft brand. I am thinking injectors. Mine are stock with 446,000 plus miles on them. My ICP pressures range from 475-2900, my IPR ranges from 9-50. From what I understand that's all good. I noticed last night on a hard acceleration I did not get the normal exhaust smoke that can be seen at night with a cars lights behind you. I have always seen smoke out the passengers side mirror when I get on it, last night I tried several times and nothing, no smoke at all. My truck idles fines, runs fine, just seems to have less power. I have had ford do a contrubution and buzz test, both were good. Can it be my injectors are mechanically fine but that the nozzles are wore and not spraying the fine mist that they should? Even when cold my truck only has a small amount of smoke, once warned up 5-10 minutes smoke is gone. Any suggestions or thoughts much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2013, 06:08 PM

Does anybody have any thoughts on this?
Old 02-11-2013, 07:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Your ICP numbers look good.

What do you mean by "vibration"?

Is the loss of power only at low RPM's, or is it throughout the power band?
Old 02-12-2013, 02:53 AM

Only at low rpm's in 3rd and OD. I thought it was transmission related, it's got a ford rebuilt unit in it under warranty. Took it back to the Ford dealer, they also thought it may be the tourqe converter, they put in a new tourqe converter and that not not fix it. They put in a another transmission, that did not fix it. I am thinking fuel/injector related now due to the "no smoke out the exhaust" during hard acceleration. I need to get a mechanical fuel test on it under a load to see if fuel pressure is dropping of. I betting it's good as its not been a year since I rebuilt the FPR, I guess I could have trash in the tank? Question is can it be injectors getting weak?
Old 02-12-2013, 10:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Well your injectors do have a ton of miles on them, but I would not jump to conclusions and say it is them for sure. Check fuel pressure first and report back with your findings.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:01 PM

I would be curious if there is ANY way to tell if your injector are working like they should other than pulling them all and putting them on a flow bench???
Old 05-10-2013, 07:13 PM

Decided to put in new rebuilt injectors from Swamps, they shipped today, will go in next weekend. Hope this solves my issue as it is slowly getting worse.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:50 PM

Have you checked your MAP to see if its reading correct? From my understanding if its not reading the correct boost then the injectors will lean out. I could be wrong but its worth a shot & would take 10-15 min to check.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:13 AM

Just finished doing a test drive after installing new injectors, UVC harness, glow plugs, and new valve cover gaskets. Shudder, vibration and loss of power is gone! Runs like new. Swamps had great instructions, this was my first injectors job and was easy with no issues. Hope this helps others. Thanks to Swamps and others who have posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.