Cut Map sensor wire? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 12:39 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cut Map sensor wire?

Okay so I bought a 99 superduty from a 17 year old kid that should never ever ever ever pick up a tool to work on anything more than a bicycle for the rest of his days....

From rubbing exhaust, to a half done, and not bolted in seat swap, to GIANT hole in bedfloor for stacks ( that thankfully arent there) and lifting the rear 8" with only blocks (plural as in multiple blocks per side), and then not getting the driveshaft lengthened and having it blow apart on me on the way home because the slip yoke was so worn out!

Anyway, I still got a great deal.

The green wire on my MAP sensor has been purposely cut and stripped, and is currently just twisted together not even covered. I just found it tonight. Is there any reason why he would have done this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2013, 12:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

I have no idea why he would have done that. MAP controls fueling and if the PCM doesn't see it, it will not fuel correctly. If he did it in an attempt to fool the PCM, his logic is severely flawed. He must have thought that it would have more fuel, when in reality it will have less.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:22 AM
Premium Member

Oh I found that out, I can actually hit 20 PSI now if I give it a bit on the highway, before was only 10 no matter what.

On a note directed at you, this truck has an F5 tuner that has a weird way of running. I did some searching and found 1 other guy with the same symptoms, a different person from DP told him that it was more than likely the tuner was not set for the correct PCM code. That wouldn't surprise me as the original purchaser of the tuner, is not a previous owner of the truck.

I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get the truck scanned at Ford as there is a sticker talking about a reflash to a different PCM code that I cant make out, and hell with everything else, there's no guarantee that the PCM in the truck now is the original. But once I get the correct code is it simple enough to get the chip reburned just for the new code, and possibly another tune added?

Symptoms I get ( identical to one other guy):
Injector knock ( I am an early 99 its always there, but louder with the tuner)
Chopping way of running on deceleration. When the torque converter unlocks on its way down the thing sounds like its going to stall, never does though, all tunes do this.
I also think it needs some work on shifting.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:53 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

that green wire, i'm not sure what role it plays, but for any cancellation, my buddys' truck and a remote grounded black wire spliced to it. We unplugged it from the green wire, and seemed to have not disrupted the trucks performance...
Old 02-08-2013, 10:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlutzer View Post
Oh I found that out, I can actually hit 20 PSI now if I give it a bit on the highway, before was only 10 no matter what.

On a note directed at you, this truck has an F5 tuner that has a weird way of running. I did some searching and found 1 other guy with the same symptoms, a different person from DP told him that it was more than likely the tuner was not set for the correct PCM code. That wouldn't surprise me as the original purchaser of the tuner, is not a previous owner of the truck.

I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get the truck scanned at Ford as there is a sticker talking about a reflash to a different PCM code that I cant make out, and hell with everything else, there's no guarantee that the PCM in the truck now is the original. But once I get the correct code is it simple enough to get the chip reburned just for the new code, and possibly another tune added?

Symptoms I get ( identical to one other guy):
Injector knock ( I am an early 99 its always there, but louder with the tuner)
Chopping way of running on deceleration. When the torque converter unlocks on its way down the thing sounds like its going to stall, never does though, all tunes do this.
I also think it needs some work on shifting.
Yeah, find out what PCM code you have and send us the chip so we can write the correct tune for it. You can also add tunes if you would like to at that time.

There is quite a difference is E99 PCM's vs. L99 and up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.