Power steering upgrade? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 10:35 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Power steering upgrade?

My pump is the original with 296k on it and has been turning 35s for the last 50k, its starting to whine a bit (pansy) lol. My question is, has anyone swapped in an old school Saginaw pump? I saw where it was a direct bolt on swap for fullsize broncos, but haven't seen anything on our trucks.

I've gotten tired of fighting the steering to park and my wife can't drive the truck (fine by me :p ) so thinking time for an upgrade. May even consider a hydro assist setup too. All opinions welcome. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2013, 11:37 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I've read where people have replaced them with remans and had great success - others, not so much.

I don't believe I have ever heard a Ford power steering pump that didn't squeel after any length of time. Something about the bastards just does it, on every single used truck. Hell, I replaced one in an '86 we had with the 300 inline 6. Fresh reman, squeeled out of the damn box.

That being said, have you tried flushing the fluid in it yet? It seemed to help some with turning the wheel in my '01. Both my trucks if you throttle up a little bit, they dont have a problem turning - not as easy to do in an Auto all the time, but my '01 being a 6spd its not problem.

I think replacement pumps run about $60 or so, but I could be wrong.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:53 AM

Re: Power steering upgrade?

Yeah i've been in a few trucks and heard the whine. I can handle it, but I can also tell that it's getting weaker too.

I did a flush and replaced with synthetic a/t fluid which helped a bit when I replaced my steering box.

Im just looking for that little extra 'oomph' to help with the steering. I know the old Saginaw boxes run a slightly higher pressure and are much quieter. Plus im planning on going to 37s before too long so need a little more power. (Why im considering hydro assist also) which will work even better with the higher pressure of the Saginaw box.

And revving to squeeze our bigs trucks sucks and gets kinda scary when trying to squeeze into a spot made for a prius..
Old 02-06-2013, 05:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have a thread about this topic too! I hope to get some answers as well
Old 02-06-2013, 06:11 PM

well found some info on it.. You can bolt one in with a modified bracket.. (I THINK.. it was done on a obs) you can get it at oreillys or autozone for about $50, so i'll probably grab one this weekend and see what all its going to take to put in our trucks.. If I figure it out, I'll do a write up with lots of pics and part numbers!
Old 02-06-2013, 08:08 PM

I went down this road and bought a new pump, lines and steering gear only to find my steering still sucked. After much research I figured out that these trucks have way too much scrub radius. As a comparison 99-04 Super Duty's have 2-3 times more scrub radius than Dodge or Chevy of the same years. Add aftermarket, wide rims and the scrub radius increases another 1.5-2 inches.

So I got rid of my 18x9.5 rims and went back to stock 16x7 rims with 33" tires. Problem solved, I can turn my steering with one finger now and have very little whine from the power steering pump. There is a reason why Ford made the axles wider on 05+ trucks and that was to decrease the scrub radius along with decreasing the turning radius.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:23 PM

If I do get this bolted up and working, I'd be at the same cost of a new pump (which I need).. so if it doesn't "fix" my problem im not out much. Im actually getting a JY pump and bracket to mock up, then just use it for a core later.

I had an old 80s chevy with locked d60s and 37" military tires and could turn it with brakes pressed and in 4wd with one hand in some pretty crappy situations (had the old Saginaw pump and gearbox) and it's the choice for a lot of avid offroaders.. I can't even do that 75% of the time in my truck now in a parking lot..

Plus the big expensive upgrade from AGR performance is just a "super" Saginaw pump.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyryan07 View Post
If I do get this bolted up and working, I'd be at the same cost of a new pump (which I need).. so if it doesn't "fix" my problem im not out much. Im actually getting a JY pump and bracket to mock up, then just use it for a core later.

I had an old 80s chevy with locked d60s and 37" military tires and could turn it with brakes pressed and in 4wd with one hand in some pretty crappy situations (had the old Saginaw pump and gearbox) and it's the choice for a lot of avid offroaders.. I can't even do that 75% of the time in my truck now in a parking lot..

Plus the big expensive upgrade from AGR performance is just a "super" Saginaw pump.
The NHSTA actually tried to get Ford to recall these trucks due to the excessive scrub radius but Ford refused to do so since no deaths had been caused by the design. I am not positive, but the 99-04 super duty trucks may have more scrub radius than any truck I have ever driven. My 05 Dodge could be buried 18" in mud and still turn the tires with my foot on the brake. Even with switching back to the stock rims if I stand on the brake really hard I can't turn the tires.....it's just a bad design. Makes me want to do an 05 axle swap really bad.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:36 PM

Oh, a 05+ axle is definitely in the plans for the near future. Im just trying to get the best drivability out of my truck I can, and since im due for a new pump, I thought I'd search into this a little more.

Thanks for the info though. Idk what scrub and stuff is but I'll read into it some more tomorrow
Old 02-06-2013, 09:19 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.