Need Help, Looking at a 7.3L - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 04:57 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need Help, Looking at a 7.3L

Hey all, seems like some good knowledge here, so I figured I better register and get some advice from the internet experts!

I am looking at a 2002 F250 Lariat:
7.3L with 242,000 miles
ONE owner Carfax report
Needs some maintenance items (U-joints, Steering stabilizer, Front Hub Assembly, Fluid flushes, Brakes)
Transmission shifts good with no slippage
This has all been checked over by the local Ford dealer.
They are going to "Wholesale" it because every used vehicle they sell needs to have a powertrain warranty of 10,000 miles, and this one requires $2500 worth of "retail" repairs to be worthy of their powertrain warranty. (Anything over $2000 in repairs and it automatically becomes a wholesale vehicle)
They are asking $8,500 bucks and I am not seeing anything that could go wrong. I remember the old farm truck was a 7.3L IDI and that was about as bulletproof as the definition allows, so I can't imagine the PSD is much different.
Overall, what are you guys thinking? I recently bough an acreage, and plan on doing some building and hobby farming, but no HEAVY hauling. I currently have a 1993 F150 (5.8L) and shes getting a little tired at 200,000 miles. Its time to either upgrade, or fix her up. I found this F250 and it's cheap enough I dont think I could go too wrong with it even if it had an issue come up.

I am mechanically inclined and can fix things myself as needed to keep costs lower.
If there is anything that you guys think could be a big issue to look for? Or any advice for a Diesel newby? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 05:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would offer them $6,000. Simply based on what their "asking". I would not worry about the mileage. If its in great shape and looks almost like new I would pay $8,500 but only if it's 100% stock no aftermarket stuff.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:27 PM

Yessir, Completely stock and I dont see that it has ever been fitted with anything aftermarket. Stock muffler and airbox even. Looks very nice, drivers seat is a little worn. ONE little surface rust bubble on the drivers side rear fender well (not through the paint yet) and I don't see any other rust on anything else.

Well, they were asking $11,945. I got them to $8,500. Thanks for the advice!
Old 02-04-2013, 06:15 PM

I think $8500 is a fair price. You're probably going to be about $800 into parts if you do the labor yourself (high estimate).

Being its one owner and low mileage I'd say go for it. If its a dealer, I'd be willing to be you could get them down to $8,000. It sounds like a dealer anyway with the wholesale talk.

Good Luck! If you've got questions about these trucks, you've come to the right place!
Old 02-05-2013, 04:13 AM

Front end work is expensive. If it nees U-joints and stabilizer ETC it most likely need ball joints, tie-rod ends, bushings, basicly a whole front end rebuild so keep that in mind. Still not a bad price and if you have the tools and equipment to do the work it will be less expensive as you say. I don't and have put about $2500.00 in mine and I still need to have ball joints done. Just my .02
Old 02-05-2013, 05:29 AM

Damn - I rebuilt the front end on my pickup, using Moog balljoints, all new tie rods, added a steering stabilizer and I was only into it maaaaaybe $600 after all was said and done. Thats with new seals and everything, including the ball joint press kit I bought and the adapter kit I rented from Orielly's.

Makes me rethink that opening a shop isn't too bad of an idea. $1900 for an afternoon of work? well, $1800 after I pay someone to do the alignment? not a bad day in my books...
Old 02-05-2013, 05:40 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Need Help, Looking at a 7.3L

Yeah I've been wanting to open a shop for years now. It's crazy how much money you can make doing fairly simple repairs.

But yeah, a whole front end cost me around $600 including the case of beer

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 02-05-2013, 06:04 AM

I think you can find a better deal on a 2x4 with 250k that doesn't need work , but thats just my opinion. What part of the country ?
Old 02-05-2013, 06:23 AM

Im about where you guys are on the front end. About $600 is what I've been pricing to do the work myself.

Sorry, Forgot to add it, but it is a 4x4 and it all works great. Located in South Dakota. Fairly big diesel following up here with all the farming.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:38 AM

Re: Need Help, Looking at a 7.3L

I think that $8500 is reasonable price if it is ext cab or crew cab. Not a great price but reasonable for the options and mileage. Even factoring in the repairs needed.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.