No Start, need help! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 04:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No Start, need help!

It all started about a week ago, I was driving and all of a sudden my truck started running really rough and it cut off on me while I was driving. I tried to start the truck but it never would fire off. At first I though CPS but I changed it Saturday and it changed nothing. I have fuel getting to the bowl so that shouldn't be the problem, or at least I don't think so. My truck acts like it wants to start but it just doesn't fire. Could it be the neutral safety switch or what? I'm lost and could use any advice y'all have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 04:19 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Not gonna be the NSSW, that wouldn't let the starter turn at all..

Do you get a WTS light when you first roll-on the key?
Old 02-04-2013, 04:23 PM

Yes I do get the Wait To Start light. Everything is the same except for it doesn't start.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:30 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Is it cranking fast enough? - it won't even TRY to start if cranking too slowly.

Next, you could try disconnecting the plug on the ICP sensor to set a default value for the IPR to run with. Did you check the plug and sheet metal nut going to the IPR?
That nut can vibrate off and allow the solenoid going over the valve to slide around. The wires going to the IPR can get brittle, crack, and short together. Make sure the
plug & wires look in good shape. Try "rapping" on the IPR with a screwdriver handle, sometimes if stuck, you can "free it up".

Do you ever see "smoke" out of the tailpipe while cranking?

Is your truck "chipped"? If so, remove it as a Test.

Anyway to get it on a professional scanner? (Unfortunately, it takes a special scanner to retrieve them and the Genreric OBD-II scanners like the Auto Parts stores use don't do us much good...)

On the right equipment you could monitor the HP oil sensors and retrieve codes.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:37 PM

The truck is definitely turning over fast enough. I will check the other things out when I have a little more time. The truck is chipped and I haven't noticed any smoke coming from the exhaust. Thanks

Last edited by mountainsideogre; 02-04-2013 at 04:43 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:17 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Cut off while driving, did you have to tow it home?

I'm assuming that you have checked the oil level. I am assuming that since it quit while driving that it ran out of fuel or high pressure oil. You are getting fuel to the bowl but it won't go. That looks like high pressure oil to me. I hate to over simplify it but just stay calm and focused and you'll get it. Don't feel like you are giving up if you have to take it to someone. The money spent may be better than you beating your head against the wall.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:41 PM

Sounds like an oil issue to me also. You said no smoke out the tail pipe. Check it again. Have someone else try to start the truck while you watch the tail pipe. No smoke means no fuel. You may have fuel in the fuel bowl but it's not getting into the cylinders via the injectors. This means you have a high pressure oil problem. Check your oil level. Check the oil level inside the hpop resivoir. Have you performed any work on the hpop lately? Gaskets etc.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:58 PM

It happened pretty close to the house so a fellow with a duramax pulled me to the house. The oil was a little bit low but it was also time to change it so I did that on Saturday. I definitely want to try to figure it out with out taking it somewhere. I have never had to do anything to the HPOP as long as I have had the truck.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:11 PM

Did you check for smoke out of the tail pipe again?
Old 02-04-2013, 06:12 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
No oil leaks? I had a 7.3 come in the other day with a massive oil leak out of the plug in the back of the HPOP, but it still ran.

Pull the plug on the reservoir and check that there is oil in it. From there, if you can't get a scan tool on it to watch data, pull a high pressure line and spin the starter over. Be prepared for a BFM if the pump is working. If all the other suggestions above like wiring, etc don't get you anywhere, your pump may have puked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.