Clutch change comments and questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 01:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Clutch change comments and questions

I decided to pull the trans from my truck and put a new clutch set in it. I was beginning to hear a noise when it sat idling and it was hard to distinguish what it was because the thing is so noisy, I was expecting the throwout bearing to be failing and figured I would catch it before it became a problem or caused other damage. Also expected the pilot to be in bad shape because I swear it has always made noise.
A little back history on the truck: I bought it 2-3 years ago with 208k on the clock from the original owner. He used it as a daily driver and towed with it rarely. I dont normally drive it unless I am towing something. Usually either my travel trailer (6500 pounds or so) or my jeep hauler (11-12k loaded). From what he told me, he put it in the shop right before the 100k warranty went out and had it gone over front to back to make sure everything was right. All fluids were changed and it had a clutch set put in at this time, and since then it has not been touched other than oil changes. I 100% believe this for several reasons besides offroading with the guy. I have put an alternator and waterpump on it since I have had it and that is it.
Truck is completely stock except for tires and wheels and large air filter upgrade.

So, back to the clutch. I pulled the transfer case and dropped the transmission today. Not a bad job for being by myself and using a floor jack. Hardest part was the top starter bolt gave me fits. When I got the trans down, to my surprise the throwout bearing seems fine, maybe a little stiffer than when new, but no damage. Trans input shaft is not at all scarred or loose, pilot bearing is fine and the clutch has a ton of life left in it for having 125k on it already. The pressure plate fingers do have some wear, but not bad at all.
Now for my questions:
-The clutch disk is a valeo unit. Is this what a dealership would be putting in?
-How do I know if the throwout fork is the problematic one? Mine is not bent that I can tell and this may be the reason it was changed at the dealer at 100k.
- dual mass flywheel, I know it should have had one from the factory, but this flywheel looks like any other unit to me. (just heavier and bigger) How do I tell the what it is? I have not dropped the flywheel yet, just the pressure plate and disc.

Any help, pointers, comments, etc is appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 04:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok, unless I am missing something, this is not a dual mass flywheel.
I have already ordered the new setup and will keep the order in place since replacing the flywheel is just as cheap as having the old one turned, and definitely easier. I will get some pics when I get a chance.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

My clutch has always made weird noises even when I put a new one in. I can feel the vibration pretty bad in the floorboard too. I just figure that's the way they are, which sucks. I had to replace my clutch at about 160,000 miles because a chunk of metal broke off the pressure plate. That pissed me off because other than the missing chunk of metal, my clutch disk and flywheel surface looked brand new. All I can figure is that there was a defect in the original clutch metal. As far as I know the superdutys have single mass flywheels.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:35 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Clutch change comments and questions

If its a slight grinding sound when in neutral and the clutch is out,then it's probably the trans making noise. The throw out will only make noise with the clutch depressed. Dual mass flywheels were only used in obs trucks. Valair is what the dealer used. Junk.

It only cost me $40 to have the flywheel turned, and it's about $200 extra to get a flywheel with a southbend kit so it's cheaper to have your original one cut.

In closing, get a southbend, have your flywheel cut, and get a transmission jack and a helper to put the trans back up. It's a tough job to do even with the right equipment. It's very heavy and a pain to get aligned.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.