2002 powerstroke smoking when cold - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2013, 07:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2002 powerstroke smoking when cold

I have a problem and I'm running out of ideas. Last year I had har starting issues due to worn injectors. I pulled them all and had Rosewood rebuild them into stage 1 single shots. While I was in there I replaced all 8 glow plugs and the valve cover gaskets. Before I did the rebuild I had no white smoke.
Now when I crank the truck it rolls white smoke and has zero throttle response. The exhaust will burn you eyes and smells like straight fuel. I can run it down the street and it quits pretty quickly. In the summer months this doesnt happen. This leads me to belive that its a glow pulg problem, but they test out. I'm stumped. I cant afford to put it in the shop and the neighbors are starting to complain.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2013, 01:57 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Does it just start smoking like this at a certain temperature or does it smoke more/less depending on how cold it is? Who's tuning are you running? Sounds a little loud, but it could be from the single shots. May be an injector sticking.

I'd start simple, check the glow plugs and relay. Troubleshooting GPR & GP's
Old 02-04-2013, 04:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Its running a dp tune and it only does this when its under 50 degrees. The plugs and relay check out.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

sounds like maybe injector issue. sticking possibly. what was the temp in the video? It lit pretty quick to be a glow plug issue.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:45 AM
Premium Starfish Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I think TJ's on the right path with the Injector's.
You might have a leaky or stuck injector and recommend you have some do a check on yours.
If you know someone in your area that has AutoEnguity (AE) that they can swing by and do some diagnosis on it, ask them.
Mine will do that when it's really cold - on a cold start (ie - not plugging in the heater) when it's 20degrees or colder. It will give a light bit of white smoke on the cold start - but nothing like that.
Does it go away after it warms up? Might even want you have your chip/tunes re-checked...
Old 02-04-2013, 11:17 AM

Mine was doing that too. Replaced all the injector o-rings last month.....problem solved. I know you just had the injectors rebuilt but its possible the o-rings were damaged upon install....its pretty easy to nick them or put a crack in them, especially the pink rings. Just a thought anyway....

Last edited by blderman; 02-04-2013 at 11:20 AM.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yep it quits smoking when it warms up. Matter of fact I can crank it cold and take off down the street and go maybe a 100 yards and it quits. Jody at DP tuner said he had a timing saftey on my PCM, and would remove it, but I havent made my way to him yet.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creteus View Post
Yep it quits smoking when it warms up. Matter of fact I can crank it cold and take off down the street and go maybe a 100 yards and it quits. Jody at DP tuner said he had a timing saftey on my PCM, and would remove it, but I havent made my way to him yet.
Not real sure what DP means by timing safety. IMO it sounds like it's dumping too much fuel when cold... But tuning or injector problem is the question. Have you tried starting on, or switching to a different tune to see if the smoke changes?

Do you use any fuel additives? Could try using one or changing what one you're using. My truck smoked more on one additive over the other 2 I've used. Unlikely this will solve the problem, but it might help.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I dont have any tunes. Its just a PMC reflash at a stock setting just to run the single shots. I was thinking it may be injector timing. Shooting to late. Not sure. Havent been running any fuel additives.
Also not sure if it matters, but even in the summer time the exhaust wreaks of diesel. It dosent smoke, but will cook your eyes if you get near the back
Old 02-04-2013, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creteus View Post
I dont have any tunes. Its just a PMC reflash at a stock setting just to run the single shots. I was thinking it may be injector timing. Shooting to late. Not sure. Havent been running any fuel additives.
Also not sure if it matters, but even in the summer time the exhaust wreaks of diesel. It dosent smoke, but will cook your eyes if you get near the back
Yeah, sounds like it's getting too much fuel. I'd see if DP could pull some fuel out at idle. It could be a timing issue, which might explain why it seems loud.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.