Oil Pan Temporary Coating - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 02-02-2013, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 
03machstock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Pa
Posts: 90
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil Pan Temporary Coating

So i bought a starter kit from kbs coatings with there rust seal that I am going to do the my oil pan. It has some rust, but not bad yet. Anyway, it says to do above 55 degrees and its about 20 here now with no real hope in sight for anywhere near 55. I asked them if i could do it anyway and they said wait until the suggested temperature range. So my question for you guys is, is what temporary coating would get me through the winter, and be easy clean up in the spring when i go to do this. Used motor oil? Something of that sort or would that attract more salt and make it worse once it wore off?

e99 F-250 Regular cab lariat 4x4 manual transfer case, 6 speed 7.3
Warn Premium Hubs
Isspro ev2 Pyro and Boost
6637
MBRP 4" with muffler
Rigid D2's
03machstock is offline  
post #2 of 6 Old 02-02-2013, 02:57 PM
Chapter Director

 
Rammstein1224's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Davenport, IA
Posts: 2,949
Thanks: 4
Thanked 46 Times in 38 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03machstock View Post
So i bought a starter kit from kbs coatings with there rust seal that I am going to do the my oil pan. It has some rust, but not bad yet. Anyway, it says to do above 55 degrees and its about 20 here now with no real hope in sight for anywhere near 55. I asked them if i could do it anyway and they said wait until the suggested temperature range. So my question for you guys is, is what temporary coating would get me through the winter, and be easy clean up in the spring when i go to do this. Used motor oil? Something of that sort or would that attract more salt and make it worse once it wore off?
I brushed on used oil on my entire under coat and it works good for a month or so it makes the water bead up and not get on the paint but after a few washes it came off but it wasnt hard to put on just time consuming but if your just doing your oil pan it shouldnt be that bad

Local Jackass member Pat

Battle cry of every 6.0 owner out there
Quote:
Originally Posted by access_max View Post
With the issues fixed a 6.0 can run circles around a 7.3.
2000 F-350 7.3L ZF6
Standard 7.3 mods
SCT tuned
8" Fabtech lift 13" total
5:13 Gears
46" Goodyear MVTs Military takeoffs
Bushwacker Cut-Out Fender Flares
Ranch Hand front and rear bumper
On-board air W/Semi horns

1995 F-350 7.3L E4OD DRW
Standard 7.3 mods
PHP Hydra W/Tony Wildman tunes
160/0 Injectors
T-500 HPOP
E-fuel Conversion
West Coast mirrors
Rammstein1224 is offline  
post #3 of 6 Old 02-02-2013, 03:25 PM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 22
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
You could run the truck and let it cool down somewhat then apply it. It might also aid in curing time as well. -Jason

1999 F250 Crew Cab Short Bed 4X4 Black 139,XXX miles bought 01/18/2012 No mods yet.

noplugs4me is offline  
post #4 of 6 Old 02-03-2013, 06:03 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 
03machstock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Pa
Posts: 90
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammstein1224 View Post
I brushed on used oil on my entire under coat and it works good for a month or so it makes the water bead up and not get on the paint but after a few washes it came off but it wasnt hard to put on just time consuming but if your just doing your oil pan it shouldnt be that bad
Sounds good, thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by noplugs4me View Post
You could run the truck and let it cool down somewhat then apply it. It might also aid in curing time as well. -Jason
And are you talking about the kbs or oil? The kbs stuff cures in 24 hours the guy told me so thats kinda out of the question.

e99 F-250 Regular cab lariat 4x4 manual transfer case, 6 speed 7.3
Warn Premium Hubs
Isspro ev2 Pyro and Boost
6637
MBRP 4" with muffler
Rigid D2's
03machstock is offline  
post #5 of 6 Old 02-03-2013, 09:09 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 6,273
Thanks: 7
Thanked 249 Times in 240 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Those Urethane paints (KBS - POR - etc) are moisture cured, so Winter's kinda out of the question...

If you go to Home Depot, they should carry a product from those Blaster guys (PB) that's called Corrosion Stop in a spray can. Maybe, when completely dry & warm, give that a try. I "hose-down" the undercarriage of my truck with 6-10 cans/yr
NoRalPh is offline  
post #6 of 6 Old 02-03-2013, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 
03machstock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Pa
Posts: 90
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post
Those Urethane paints (KBS - POR - etc) are moisture cured, so Winter's kinda out of the question...

If you go to Home Depot, they should carry a product from those Blaster guys (PB) that's called Corrosion Stop in a spray can. Maybe, when completely dry & warm, give that a try. I "hose-down" the undercarriage of my truck with 6-10 cans/yr
So when the truck is warm and dry or the weather is warm an dry? Im guessing the prep stuff that comes in the kbs kit would strip this stuff right off when the time come in the spring to coat it?

e99 F-250 Regular cab lariat 4x4 manual transfer case, 6 speed 7.3
Warn Premium Hubs
Isspro ev2 Pyro and Boost
6637
MBRP 4" with muffler
Rigid D2's
03machstock is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome