Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Towing 22ft enclosed trailer

894 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  smokenstroke 
#1 ·
I just have a question about if not using the O/D button off on my 01 7.3 pulling a 22ft enclosed trailer will hurt the trans? I would just use it but when I push the button I have a fuse that blows I think a wire is shorted on the firewall. I need to fix it but my buddy is wanting me to move his trailer today and I don't wanna hurt the trans. And where I live it is hilly. So question is how much weight should I pull before I definately need to use the OD off button?

#2 ·
I'd say if the truck starts bogging down, hit the hazards, slow down and put it in 2nd. No sense in burning up the trans.

That being said, however, I've towed my 01 behind an auto before at 75mph on a 6,000lb gooseneck flatbed trailer and only took it out of OD when climbing hills. In all honesty, as long as your transmission isn't getting too hot you won't have a problem. And when I say hills, I mean like mountain passes or LONG steep inclines.

#4 ·
Ive got a 24ft. Never worry about OD unless im gonna be doing a lot of slow (40 or less) driving. My trans aint in the best shape but usually 200* is too hot. Ive seen 225* twice and still trucking. 183k miles

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.