Looking for a reputable engine rebuilder - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2013, 02:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Looking for a reputable engine rebuilder

I've been having problems with my truck lately, rough running with blue smoke. At first I thought it was a problem with the UVC harness or gasket burning out again. No problems there. I unplugged the IPS and map sensor to see if it would run better, that didnt help. Also I noticed quite a bit of oil coming from the turbo, with some damage to the compressor wheel.

So I took my truck in to a local diesel performance center in Billings, Mt to have them help me out with the engine running rough issues. They did a compression test on it and told me that #2 cylinder had 0 compression and told me that I have to replace the engine and that it would be about $13,000 to do that. There has to be somebody that can do a rebuild for much less than that. Im hoping that someone here on the org has some ideas where I can have the engine rebuilt for much less than $13k.

I dont drive the truck hard or even play around that much in it. I use it as my daily driver and towing my fifth wheel. I do regular scheduled maintenance on it so I dont know why I would have a bad piston in one cylinder. The truck has approx. 238k miles on it.

I really appreciate any help that anyone is willing to offer. Thank You in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2013, 02:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

where are you at?
Old 02-01-2013, 03:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Im located in central Montana, but I can haul the truck to have the engine pulled out within a reasonable distance. The truck runs but kind of rough, never would of thought that it would be from a dead cylinder, I was thinking more of injectors or something related to the fuel system.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would check out your local ford dealer, looks like you can get a complete engine assembly for 7k. It comes with a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty. Here is a link to it.

1999 Ford F-250 Super Duty Engine Complete Assembly | FordParts.com
Old 02-01-2013, 03:20 PM

Here is a remanufactered unit for just over 5k. Same 3 year warranty I think.

1999 Ford F-250 Super Duty Remanufactured Engine Complete Assembly | FordParts.com
Old 02-01-2013, 03:24 PM

Short block is just over $3,800. Pretty sure it comes with a 3 year warranty also.

1999 Ford F-250 Super Duty Engine Short Block | FordParts.com
Old 02-01-2013, 05:16 PM

So was the culprit that damn K&N air filter I keep hearing about??
Old 02-01-2013, 05:26 PM

I think air filter issues usually take out #8.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

It might of been the damn K&N filter? I noticed when I had things apart that the compressor wheel looked chewed up and the topside of the air filter had some gouges in it, probably from the compressor wheel? As far as the #2 cylinder goes I'm not sure what caused it to be totally dead. Maybe a part of the injector dropped down inside of the cylinder? Hard telling at the moment.

Thank you for looking into this for me, seems like the dealership isnt to bad of a solution for the warrenty and price is fairly reasonable. Im not sure what a 6006 and 6007 is, as far as Ford part numbers go, seems like the 6007 would include injectors?

I havent found anyone yet locally as far as having it rebuilt. Ive been asking around and getting a few names to look into. PLease chime in if you guys know of someone in the Montana area. Ive seen approx 6000 for a rebuild out the door but those guys are from the south east. To far for me. Lots of good Powerstroke engine builders from that part of the country.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:26 AM

Messaged you back - Hopefully you can find someone reasonable in Billings. If I were still renting my shop, I'd say buy that longblock and I'll give you a hand throwing it in. Unfortunately, I dont have a place to work on vehicles at this point in time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.