Hard starts even after new parts? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2013, 10:11 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hard starts even after new parts?

Hey guys I have a 2000 powerstroke and I'm having some hard start issues. When I got it the guy indicated that it is "cold natured" due to needing glow plugs. He supplied a brand new box of 8 plugs with the truck. So far I have installed the new glow plugs, tested the glow plug relay which is fine, installed new UVCH's and pigtails, new fuel filter, new thermostat, fresh rotella t oil and filter, new starter, new batteries, new block heater, and K&N filter. The truck runs awesome when it's warm but getting it to start if the temp is below 35 is very difficult. Not sure if this is common or not for a 7.3 but I have to plan an extra 45-60 minutes in if I want to drive it anywhere when it's cold. I've tried cycling the glow plugs 3-4 times and it still just cranks and cranks. It sound like its wanting to start but the only time it will is if I keep cranking it or plug the block heater up for 30-45 minutes. I know they run rough until they warm up but even getting to that part is hard for me. I don't know what else it could be? My friend had a 7.3 and he said he could crank it in any weather for about 10-15 seconds and it was running. 10 minutes later it was warm enough to drive. He said he never plugs his trucks in. When I plug it in, my electric meter spins like a top. I wouldn't mind if it had a thermostat so it wasn't ways drawing 1500 watts but it don't. I can't leave it plugged in all the time and pay a $250-300 electric bill every month. Any suggestions? Thanks guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2013, 10:54 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Re: Hard starts even after new parts?

How did you test GP relay? unplug oil temp sensor does it get better our worse?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 02-01-2013, 11:27 AM

I used my my digital volt meter to check the constant hot side then cycled the key to test the ignition on side. Everything checked out. Where is the oil temp sensor.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:33 PM

Injectors.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:39 PM

It runs absolutely perfect after it's warm, seems like bad injectors would always be bad not just during startup, I'm not sure? I'm starting to suspect it might be the glow plug relay after all. It was before I changed the glow plugs when I tested it to make sure before I took the valve covers off. I didn't realize it was white smoking out of the stack until today. From my understanding, that's a good indication that the glow plugs aren't firing. I'm going to go out there now to test with my meter again. If it fails, I'll jump across the relay for several seconds and see if it fires. Also, here is a video to give a better understanding of what I'm talking about. By the way, I cycle the glow plugs 3 times before initial startup, then once, then 3 times again on the third attempt

Old 02-01-2013, 01:09 PM

As injectors age and wear, their performance in the cold starts to slip.

I can start my truck down to about 35 degrees without glow plugs. It does NOT like it, but it will start.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:15 PM

That's understandable but wouldn't they have poor performance all the time not just on startup? When it's warm it runs and drives like a brand new truck. If I start this truck and drive it in the morning, it's usually fine the rest of the day. Starts right up no problem. But if I let it sit for 24 hours or so then try to start it, I have these problems. I just checked the glow plug relay and it was reading 12.4v on the hot side and 10.2 when I hit the igntion. I have to new batteries 1000 cranking amps each. Looks like when I complete the relay circuit by turning the ignition on, that pole would be reading the same 12.4v as my constant hot pole.

Also, it's 19* here right now. In all honesty it's starting like it did before with the old non functional glow plugs. Considering I have installed new glow plugs, new under cover valve cover gaskets/harnesses and new pigtails on both sides, the only other thing I can think of is a faulty glow plug relay. Hopefully it's not the injectors.

Last edited by mtmc; 02-01-2013 at 01:19 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:45 PM

What weight oil are you running?

You can also just jump the terminals on the GPR and see if you get better starting.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:40 PM

15w40 Rotella T
Old 02-01-2013, 03:42 PM

Just so I understand, if you plug the block heater up for 45 minutes it starts fine/normal?
Sounds like your relay is fine due to the 10 volts you got when the ignition was switched on. Did you test the glow plugs before installing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
cold weather, glow plugs, hard start, winter, won't start

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.