Who else is is glad they bought a 7.3L? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2013, 08:03 AM
Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Who else is is glad they bought a 7.3L?

Hey guys just bored at work feel free to disregard all following ramblings

When i was looking for my first diesel about a year ago, i did a little research, mostly just on diesel in general and if it would be something i would be interested in rather than actual motors. Because here in Iowa theres really not much of a diesel truck scene so pickins is slim for trucks that arent beat to hell by farmers or work trucks.

So i started looking on craigslist because 1. i am addicted to craigslist like most of everyone on here and 2. id rather buy from an owner rather than a dealer. Well that didnt go well because like i said pickins is slim. So im lucky if i see ANY diesel trucks on there let alone anything worth buying.

So then i resorted to dealers, well by this time i knew i wanted a ford diesel, again pickins is slim so the only dealership that had any ford diesels besides new ones is one of those smaller deals that isnt quite a big dealer but is more than a buy-here-pay-here place.

Well they had a lifted grey 03 6.0 ccsb like 70xxx miles with dual stacks. I fell in love like everybody does when they find a vehicle they like well we test drove it and it didnt see any problems with it so we made an offer, they wanted i believe 20,000 for it so we did the usual lowball of 17,000, they came down to 19,000 and we went back and forth but we couldnt come to an agreement.

So we looked at another, it was a black/tan stock 01? 7.3 and again feel in love we test drove and made an offer but STILL couldnt meet, this dealership seemed like they didnt even care if they made a sale or not, i mean its not like there was people lining up to buy a vehicle there so id imagine they would be motivated to sell but apparently not.

So after that i was kinda out to dry so i just kept craigslisting without much avail. Then one day i decided to check ebay, but i was never much of an ebayer other than small things because i like to see what i am buying before i buy it but this day the gods were smiling upon me because i saw it...the perfect truck...it was a hallelujah moment It was also somewhat local(1hr 30 mins) because im not one to fly down somewhere to buy a truck. So i contacted the guy and we set up a time to meet and i saw her

Well basically I knew this was the truck for me, she is a 2000 F-350 cclb and she was bought fresh outta florida from the original owner who was an old retired man and was completely stock until he brought it up here and did all the goodies to it so everything done to it was in the last 2000 miles AND even better the price was more than right. This guy had more money into just the mods alone than what he was asking for. This guy lost his *** on this but he clearly had alot of other toys (boats other trucks etc) so i dont think it mattered much.

So i guess this was more a rambling than anything but im honestly glad the dealership was being retarded because otherwise i would have a 6.0 now. And that brings me to the question FINALLY for those who stayed through all that After being on this site for about 6 month i have learned alot about not only my truck but other trucks and i read about the 6.0, 6.4, and 6.7 and there are several mixed feelings about them. But with the 7.3...its almost unanimous that its a great reliable engine without any major modification from stock. I understand that the other engines can be just as reliable but it almost seems hit and miss.

Im not hating on the other engines especially because its mostly the EPAs fault with all the emissions crap and fords sometimes half *** fixes but i guess the moral of the story is i got damn lucky buying the 7.3 because it almost a year now and the only problem i have had is the cps and she is still running strong. So who else is glad they got the 7.3 and will never get rid of it like me? Thanks for listening to my mindless ramblings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2013, 08:05 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Count me in! Love em.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 02-01-2013, 08:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Nothing better than a 7.3!
Old 02-01-2013, 09:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I bought my 01 7.3 back in 03 when the 6.0 was just coming out. Bought with 25,000 miles, now have 106,000. Within a week of owning it i had it on 8 inches and 38's. I'm originally from Iowa (Carroll area) and have been in the military for the last 14 yrs. I have been from Oregon to Florida and EVERYWHERE in between and the ONLY issue i ever had was a gas pedal assembly take a dump on me....did not leave me stranded, was just an interesting drive on the interstate for a while until i found a dealer with one. I LOVE my truck and the 7.3 and honestly believe i will never get rid of it.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:07 AM

I'm on my second 7.3 and I almost traded it in on a 6.0 the other day but man I'm glad I didnt do it cause I love mine 01 ccsb 4x4 lariat 189xxx miles

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 02-01-2013, 10:15 AM
Chapter Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22crew View Post
I bought my 01 7.3 back in 03 when the 6.0 was just coming out. Bought with 25,000 miles, now have 106,000. Within a week of owning it i had it on 8 inches and 38's. I'm originally from Iowa (Carroll area) and have been in the military for the last 14 yrs. I have been from Oregon to Florida and EVERYWHERE in between and the ONLY issue i ever had was a gas pedal assembly take a dump on me....did not leave me stranded, was just an interesting drive on the interstate for a while until i found a dealer with one. I LOVE my truck and the 7.3 and honestly believe i will never get rid of it.
Nice man im over in the quad cities, but i am like you i dont think ill ever get rid of it, ill run this thing into the ground but i think it will probably run me into the ground instead the way it runs
Old 02-01-2013, 10:19 AM

It would just be nice to have the body of an 08 n up style with the 7.3 under the hood with a 6sp behind it now that would be the truck to have.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:24 AM
Chapter Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3550Duty View Post
It would just be nice to have the body of an 08 n up style with the 7.3 under the hood with a 6sp behind it now that would be the truck to have.
Its been done before 1999 to 2012 f250 Nose Swap Conversion

Idk about his interior but thats possible to swap to as well so potentially you can have a 2008+ with a 7.3 fairly easy
Old 02-01-2013, 10:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Love my 7.3 having some buyer remorse that I didnt wait to get one that need less tlc on the body. But once the body work is done ill only be in it about 9K not including mods so I guess Im not doing too bad.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:28 PM

Love mine, 445,000 miles, driven daily 200 miles, only major issue was a new transmission at 407,000 miles. Just installed a double din navigation unit and with my I phone linked to it I get radar on it too! Love it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.