steering gear broke - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2007, 09:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Red face steering gear broke

Hello all, This is my first post here I usually just lurk and take in all the info and I must thank you all for the info and entertainment.
So here is something for your info or entertainment.
Last sat morning after a 60 mile trip the night before my wife hopped in the pick up to run up town. She backed out of the driveway and the pitman arm and steering rods fell of the steering gear box. I went out to look and the out put shaft ,the one with 36 splines was sheered off above the pitman arm. It look like it had been fatigued over a few years. This could have been really ugly you know ditches, barbwire, tow trucks. So take note as the position of your steering wheel if it is not as centered as you once thougth it was check out your steering box and pitman arm. I may save you from having to mend someones fence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2007, 06:06 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Was the truck ever hit in the front or curbed really hard?
What year is the truck? Ive seen alot of trucks pass through our shop
and never seen that.Glad it happened at home though.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:48 AM

OMG...she was lucky. That is the first time Ihave heard of that without something else causing it. Glad to hear there was no fence mending involved.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:11 AM
Premium Member

Lucky that happened in the driveway and not doing 70 on the highway!! Wonder what could have caused them to sheer like that?
Old 12-02-2007, 10:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The truck is a 01 f350 crew cab 4x4 7.3 6" lift 35 bfgs on weld wheels it has about 80,000 miles on it and has not been in any wrecks. I think the shop that put the lift on may have heated the old pitman arm to remove it.That with the bigger tires may have had some thing to do with it.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:35 AM

my wifes truck did the exact same thing but only she was driving it down the road at the time !! a 1.5 lane gravel road by our house and she ended up in the ditch with my 6mo old daughter completely stock never wreaked owned it since new 00 f250 ps did this with 65000 miles on it seen another on in the ford shop that did the same as well raised hell with dealer they fixed it at no charge but would not accept any responcibility and would not cover the body damage i searched the web and found the site for the hiway saftey board i think it was and they had numerous complaints on the same thing and were in talks with ford on it ive never heard anymore on it that was a couple years ago i dont have the sites anymore but do some checking may at least get a free repair its not as rare a problem as you may think bad heat treating in my opinion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.