Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

random acts of dieing

1K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  GETPHILTAFISH TOW TRUCK 
#1 ·
i have a 2002 f350 with a 7.3 litre diesel engine.truck runs fine when its cold,but dies when it gets up to operating temperature.i live in alberta and temperature is -20c. will start and run after it has stalled but will die quickley. hooked up diagnostic reader but nothing showed up, engine light not on.i recently put a afe stage 2 cold air intake on, would the IAT sensor have anything to do with it. if anyone has any tips or the same problem please message me with a solution.thanks

#2 ·
I would put money on it is the CPS (cam position sensor) they now cost less than $25 and are very easy to change. I keep a spare in the glove box. When mine went out it acted just as you describe. One check is to see if the tach goes to zero or acts funny as it dies, the sensor also runs the tach. A 10mm wrench and less than 5 minutes and you should have her fixed.

#5 ·
Thanks for getting back to me fellers. Im going to buy one possibley two tomorrow so i have a extra. So when the cps goes, will it somtimes not let the motor fire at all, or until it cools down. is that one of the symtoms, and the engine light has only come on twice. while the truck has been died about 20 times.

#6 ·
If the CPS is totally gone the motor will not fire at all, and your tach will not move either when cranking.

#8 ·
I only run good clean diesel, an i have been putting conditioner in it. I havent noticed the tach doing anything funky, but i did notice that the oil psi, fuel level, engine temp ,and tranny temp gauges drop down about a 1/4 inch bellow were they should be, thats only when the truck dies, if that makes any sense.

#10 ·
one sad ford

:ford:Im in Edmonton Alberta , the overhead digital temp in my truck says -22 c. Im positive that it isnt my fuel gelling up. I drove the truck around for an hour or so today, an it ran fine, shut it off for 15 mins and went back outside a few minutes ago an it would'nt start.:ford:

#12 ·
No time

Didnt have time today was to busy runnin around the city. Goin to do it tomorrow no matter what so i will let u know. What are your trucks symptoms.

#13 ·
Thanks to all you all

To all that helped me with the trouble shoting on my 7.3 , it was the (CPM) senser that was nfg with my truck.:ford: The senser costs $86 at price and at cost it was only $48, up here in canada.

#14 ·
Should be $20 or less, used to be real high but Ford dropped the prices last may. A lot of us keep a spare in the glove box. Glad you got it fixed, I know of some folks that spent well over $300 having Ford diagnose and fix the same problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.