looking into an '01 7.3 250xlt - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2006, 10:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
looking into an '01 7.3 250xlt

Hi all,
New guy, warm weather (Oakland Ca.) bio dieseler, looking at getting into a new work truck. Right now there is an '01 7.3 250xlt that I am interested in. I was wondering if you all could educate me about what I should be looking for as to a pre purchase inspection.

I'm also interested in any feedback as to the quality and reliability of the truck.

I have done a little research and learned about using the proper oil and radiator fluids. But I'd like to delve a little deeper into what I can expect from these trucks.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2006, 10:47 AM
I don't know nuttin....

The 99-03 7.3s are a great motor!
If the truck isn't worn out, and the price is right, you'll be very pleased with this truck!
Old 08-10-2006, 11:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I see you run WVO, nice kit by the way, are there any things to mind with the WVO or biodiesel as far as the injection system is concerned? As I understand it, some injection systems are a bit more sensitive to the viscosity range, and detergent effects of the alternative fuels.

Your encouraging words are appriciated.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

also should have mentioned that the truck I am looking at is a 6-speed manual.

Thanks.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:04 AM
I don't know nuttin....

The injection system on my 03 6.0 liter is more critical of these fuels than the earlier 7.3s. They are higher pressure and therefor have to use cleaner fuel. My Vegistroke system heats the WVO to above 160 degrees f, bringing the viscosity to very near the same as diesel fuel. Boi-D will give you viscosity issues in the winter time if you travel north where it is cold so don't attempt to use it in January if you travel to cold country!
Youll love the bullet proof 7.3 PSD! A very good powerplant!
Old 08-10-2006, 11:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

My 2000 PSD has a 6-speed in it. It's great a GREAT truck. Here in SoCal I have to deal with a fair amount of traffic so my clutch foot gets a little heavy at times but mechanically, I love the motor/trans setup. Like CHenry said... if the price is right, go for it!
Old 08-10-2006, 11:33 AM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
How many miles? Explain the vehicle condition to us more. Take pictures/post them for use to oogle at

Here's some good info I found somewhere and saved it.

Things To Look For When Buying A Used Power Stroke Diesel

Turbo:

You might take the air tube off the back of the air filter and look inside of it. If there is dirt build up, that is a very bad sign, so are the turbo fins looking sand blasted or bent. A little oily film is normal since the valve cover breather exits inside the tube.

Airbox:

Check the two bolts holding down the airbox lid. If they are plastic with a square recess, it is a recalled part. The recall is expired, but without the updated lid the risk of dirt infiltration is greater, the lid was updated with more supports and the updated bolts are metal with a straight slot.

Tranny:

If you buy a truck with an auto tranny, finding out if it's been maintained is essential, as the E4OD is an expensive transmission. Also, (if auto) seeing if the truck has an auxiliary transmission cooler would be worthwhile. For sticks, listen for clunking when shutting off or small vibration while operating. It could be an indication of a dual mass flywheel going out. Many have replaced them with single mass units.

Rear Gear Ratio:

4:10 will pull better, get slightly lower mpg’s and run a higher RPM compared to 3:55.

Coolant:

Ask the previous owner about the coolant - have they been adding FW16 or DCA4 to keep a proper SCA level? It is very important for stopping cavitation. You can get test strips to check the SCA level from NAPA, International, or Ford. I would test the current condition while looking over the truck, the SCA level should be between 1.5 and 3.0. Also, see if it has a block heater (it was an option on 97's).

Front end:

Check the front end for wear, or have an alignment shop check out the ball joints and steering linkage (tie rod ends). If they are shot, it is spendy (all four tie rods are around $400 just for parts, ball joint labor is also very spendy)

Oil:

The questions to ask are how often the oil was changed (at least every 5,000) and what kind of oil they used (diesel rated)? An oil analysis could tell you if there might be an engine problem or not.

Aftermarket stuff:

Seeing if the truck has got an aftermarket downpipe would be nice, a chip, or gauges (pyrometer, trans temp, etc.). Ask about any added items and who installed them.

Glow Plugs/Relay:

Find out if the glow plugs are in good working condition as well as the relay. Ask if either has been changed and when. You can check the glow plug resistance through the valve cover connector if needed and the relay should have power to both large terminals on top when the key is turned on, and one of the terminals should go out before ~2 minutes.

Injector o-rings:

The injector O-rings have been known to be a problem. The new o-ring sets have a pink middle seal. If the truck has an o-ring problem, one of the signs can be a discoloration of the fuel in the filter bowl. There is a drain on the passenger side front of the filter bowl for draining water (the filter is also the water separator) and you can catch some of the drained fuel in a jar – it should be dingy yellow and not blue or dark.

Leaks and Drips:

You can check the valley between the heads of the V8 for moisture and/or fluid. It should be dry not wet. Most leaks will run through this valley and down the back of the motor dripping off by the tranny/engine coupling.

VIN number:

If you take the VIN to any dealer, they can tell you when it was built, when it went into service, and some of the work that might have been done on it. You can also run prospective VIN's through Carfax.com to see the title history.

Also, the 2001 has PMR connecting rods so if you plan on any kind of major upgrades in the power department you'll be limited to under 400hp. The auto tranny has a "diode" people are concerned about however that is nothing you need to worry about with your truck since it's a 6spd.

:burnout :burnout :burnout :burnout :burnout :burnout
Old 08-10-2006, 11:44 AM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Note, and I will change it the next time I post this... For your specific year if it still has the stock setup will carry 3.73's.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

WOW
Excellent information here. Just what I was looking for. It sounds like these are good trucks. Here is the one I am currently interested in:

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

We are selling a 2001 Ford F250 Extended Cab (4 Doors) 2 Wheel Drive short bed. The truck comes with the 7.3 Liter V8 DIESEL and a 6 speed manual transmission. It is the XLT package and comes with bucket seats, full carpet, sliding rear window, power windows, power door locks, Air Conditioning, AM-FM CD Player, Cruise Control, Tilt Steering Wheel, Dual Gas Tanks, and many other options.

The engine is in great shape. It is a 7.3 liter Turbo DIESEL V8 made by Power Stroke. Runs great does not smoke or leak any fluids. It always starts up on the first try. Plenty of power, I used it to tow a medium size boat and it had no problems going up hills or even really noticed that anything was behind the truck.

Transmission works great, doesn't slip in any gear. Every gear shifts very smooth. The synchros are in great shape, none of them grind or difficult to change into any gear.

The truck is in great overall condition. Nice interior and exterior. The paint is very shiny and the rest of the exterior is pretty much dent and ding free. Every option on the truck works. The interior is not worn out like a lot of trucks. The AC blows Ice Cold.

The Ford has a heavy duty towing package. The truck is ready for work or pleasure. It is not something that looks embarrassing to drive, but a nice great looking Ford truck.

The Ford has the following options:

8 Cylinder Power Stroke TURBO DIESEL injected engine
6 Speed Manual Transmission with Overdrive
Power Door Locks
Power Windows
Tilt Steering
Cruise Control
Deluxe Cloth Interior
Heavy Duty Tow Package
Extended Cab With 4 Doors
Factory 16 Inch Alloy Wheels
4 Wheel Anti Lock Brakes
Dual Air Bags
Factory AM/FM Cassette/CD Player

Privacy Glass
And Many More Options

The truck has a Clean Title and is SMOG EXEMPT.
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com
Old 08-10-2006, 11:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.