Success Stories - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 02:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Success Stories

Im getting tired of hearing all of the horror stories about the good ole 7.3.. So what do we have success story wise? I bought mine about six monthes ago and since then just had to do the IPR and ICP so not to bad. But right before i bought it the tranny did go south and new glow plug and gpr alternator and batteries.. So hos going to tell me stories about the 7.3 to raise my hopes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2013, 02:56 PM
Serving Our Country!

193k miles......2001 7.3. Two CPS sensors and two tranny sensors. This is our road trip truck and DD never broke down on the side of the road. Driven over 1000 miles in a day towing and not one single issue. The stuff you have already replaced is not a big deal. The tranny is another thing but these trucks are going on 10-14yrs old. Theres plenty of 7.3s out there with many more hundreds of thousands of miles and ticking along just fine
Old 01-31-2013, 02:59 PM

What's a good check list of maintaince on these trucks?
Old 01-31-2013, 02:59 PM

And by the way my truck is at 136000 miles
Old 01-31-2013, 03:06 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Success Stories

I'm at 131k. CPS sensor, IPR, and replaced the ICP. I bought an ICP off eBay and it lasted a week before oil pressure ejected it from the head. Engine died from loss of oil. Was 10 miles from home when it happened so I had my dad tow me home. Replaced the ICP with a Ford unit and a new wiring harness and plug since that got ejected too and it's been fine. I've done a tug of war with it, about 30 passes at the track, and beat on it daily driving approximately 300 miles a week with no problems. I do need to replace the support bearing on the rear driveshaft though, all those 4x4 boosted launches have taken a toll on it!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-31-2013, 03:09 PM
Serving Our Country!

Well I havent done a real thorough check list but I am in the process of going to all synthetic fluids (AMSOIL) and that was one of the best things I have done for my truck. Id say go through and replace your glow plugs if needed, go ahead and replace your CPS sensor and get a spare, check your UVCH (under valve cover harness), maybe a coolant flush (theyre good for these engines too), and just check all the fluids and filters.
One thing I have learned is don't cheap out on parts. Buy quality stuff and the truck will take care of you for many miles to come. I bought mine from Super Diesel on this site and he is very meticulous about how he took care of the truck. That's why I wasn't afraid to buy it with 172k miles. The maintenance has paid off and the truck has been great for a yr and a half.
These are great all around trucks and the engines are great too. They may not be fast but they will get you where you need to go every time. I have learned a lot on this site and continue to learn every day. Don't get discouraged if you have had to replace one or two small things on the truck.......its 14yrs old. She will take good care of you!
Old 01-31-2013, 06:28 PM

Look at my sig. I have literally not had to do anything other than an alternator on my '01 engine. I did put a new GPR in it, but just because I wanted to, not because it needed it. I've put 130+K of the miles on it myself in the last 2.5 years.

I've done plenty of maintenance on other stuff on the truck, but as far as engine stuff goes, I've been golden.

I've only had the '00 for 2 weeks. I know it had Glow Plugs and Injectors done right before I bought it. The alternator appears newer also. Other than that its gone fairly untouched as far as the previous owner said.

Last edited by ProOnThaSnow; 01-31-2013 at 06:31 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:32 PM
Serving Our Country!

If anybody has a 7.3 thats a testament to longevity its ProSnow. Look at the miles on both his rigs. Theres your proof right there
Old 02-01-2013, 12:19 PM

I have 216,000 on mine never replaced a sensor on the engine or any major component on the truck and the tranny has never been out.It has been plowing and pulling heavy trailers since day one to.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:24 PM

What are these horror stories you speak of???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.