Can I run jet fuel - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2007, 09:26 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Can I run jet fuel

We drain our fuel vents in our Lear jet so we have alittle extra fuel to burn in our shop heater etc. Can I run this in my truck ? If so I've heard there is a ratio to abide by. thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2007, 09:28 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

boy oh boy I dont know about a diesel, I know that I run VP 110 octane in my show truck, but I have no clue about diesel's whats the octane of the jet fuel?
Old 12-01-2007, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
i wouldnt do it. jet fuel is a mixture of different things from what i understand. dont chance it bud.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:32 AM
Premium Member

Jet fuel is similar to kerosene. We run it in our 7.3 over in the mid east. Been doing it for a few years now and the truck is still going. For some reason it seems to start a little harder, but no other noticeable problems. I don't know about EGT's or LONG term use, it hardly ever gets over about 25mph, but we do run it straight, no mixture. I supose this doesn't help much, but it's the best I can do.
-Aaron
Old 12-01-2007, 09:34 AM
Premium Member

Of course, now that I think about it. You are probably using Jet-A this is JP-8. I've always heard that Jet-A is a dirtier fuel and I know our engines run better on the JP-8. Don't know how much that matters. Someone a year or so ago was talking about running some in his 6.0. If he did it maybe he will chime in with his results.
-Aaron
Old 12-01-2007, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
i know the Air Force runs reclaimed jet fuel from there generators and stuff in their diesel tow rigs. they seem to run real crappy though. if it were me i wouldnt do it, if you do though be real cautious as it burns different and i think a little hotter than regular diesel.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:43 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwalker View Post
i know the Air Force runs reclaimed jet fuel from there generators and stuff in their diesel tow rigs. they seem to run real crappy though. if it were me i wouldnt do it, if you do though be real cautious as it burns different and i think a little hotter than regular diesel.
This is correct. This is by no means advice to try it...I still think you are on your own with this, but the Dodge we had definitely seems to run different (worse) on the jet fuel...Our Ford though didn't seem to notice the change. Who knows why, they both take some pretty rough abuse and get neglected more than I like to see.
-Aaron
Old 12-01-2007, 09:44 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
JP-5 and JP-8 are very similar. The military uses JP-5 and JP-8 alot. As for running Jet-A in your truck. I would not do it. Jet-A is close to kerosene. I would not dump Keorsene into my fuel tank.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:23 AM
Turnin' JP8 into noise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcountrysg View Post
JP-5 and JP-8 are very similar. The military uses JP-5 and JP-8 alot. As for running Jet-A in your truck. I would not do it. Jet-A is close to kerosene. I would not dump Keorsene into my fuel tank.
I don't think it would be a good idea, but it can be done. What type of fuel is it. There are several varieties, each with different characteristics. We have certain restrictions with running anything other than JP8 in our aircraft.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:25 AM

Alot of good info here. Thank you. I heard someone did use it but mixed it with reg. diesel . To be honest Ive had so many problems with my Ford I don't want to risk it until I find someone that is currently using it. I will use it in the shop heater for now. And yes it is Jet A...I have a 95 with a 7.3 I may mix alittle in with it's diesel. If I hurt this one it wont matter.......thanks for the replies and keeepem coming.....M
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.