Fuel gauge ain't worth a darn! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2007, 08:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SteveKran Send a message via Yahoo to SteveKran
Fuel gauge ain't worth a darn!

Everytime I fill up the fuel gauges drops to complete empty and my fuel light comes on. I know I've got plenty of diesel in the tank (of course), but it's annoying to have to explain that I've got plenty of fuel in the tank whenever someone rides with me.

Is there a fix for this problem? I'd like to use my fuel gauge instead of having to rely on my trip meter to tell me when to fill up.

Also, today when I filled up it showed I had just over 1/4 tank left. I put 25 gallons in a 28 gallon tank. It just doesn't work for sh!t!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2007, 03:11 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

Does the gauge stay on empty or does it eventually read correctly? IF it is staying on the low end, it sure sounds like your float in the tank is stuck on something. Many have taken a large rubber mallet and given the side of the tank a good smack or two and see if this will free it, otherwise it is time to drop the tank. While you have it down you might as well do the tank mods too!!
Old 11-29-2007, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
Does the gauge stay on empty or does it eventually read correctly? IF it is staying on the low end, it sure sounds like your float in the tank is stuck on something. Many have taken a large rubber mallet and given the side of the tank a good smack or two and see if this will free it, otherwise it is time to drop the tank. While you have it down you might as well do the tank mods too!!
It eventually reads what I think is correct, but only till I get to around 3/4 a tank. Then it starts acting like crap again. It stays around the 3/4 mark until I am almost out and then drops fast the last 50 miles or so until I refil (I normally fuel up around 300 miles on my trip).

The thing that gets me is the gauges really isn't that predictable. It seems to have a mind of its own at times.

What kind of tank mods are available, how much do they cost, and what are the benefits of these mods? Also, how hard are they to perform? I've only dropped a tank in one other vehicle I've owned, so I can do it, but I'm not a pro by all means.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:03 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Simple fix new fuel tank level sending unit. Takes about an hour to install it. You have to drop the tank. The part is around 350 from a dealer.

There is nothing in the tank for the fuel tank level sending unit to get stuck on. The tank is completely open inside of it. When you smack the side of the tank what your trying to do is get the float to go back up to the top of the tank. But it does not always work.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcountrysg View Post
Simple fix new fuel tank level sending unit. Takes about an hour to install it. You have to drop the tank. The part is around 350 from a dealer.

There is nothing in the tank for the fuel tank level sending unit to get stuck on. The tank is completely open inside of it. When you smack the side of the tank what your trying to do is get the float to go back up to the top of the tank. But it does not always work.
Damn, there goes my exhaust for Christmas.

Last edited by SteveKran; 11-29-2007 at 05:14 AM. Reason: Can't spell
Old 11-29-2007, 04:35 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveKran View Post
Damn, there goes my exhaust for Cristmas.
From my understanding they don't go bad that often. I got mine from the local junkyard. I got the whole tank for 150 out of a 2002 F-250 crew cab shortbox. Just so happens I have a 2002 f-250 crew cab short box. All I used was the fuel pickup tube assembelly. Which I have yet to have any problems since I did the repair.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcountrysg View Post
From my understanding they don't go bad that often. I got mine from the local junkyard. I got the whole tank for 150 out of a 2002 F-250 crew cab shortbox. Just so happens I have a 2002 f-250 crew cab short box. All I used was the fuel pickup tube assembelly. Which I have yet to have any problems since I did the repair.
Well that's good. I wonder if they's sell me just the sending unit.

Either that or does anyone have one they'd like to part with?
Old 11-29-2007, 05:23 AM
duct tape & zip ties

The junkyard by me was like you got to take the whole tank. They did not want an incomplete tank. I figured ok if I ever damage the tank I have an extra one on hand.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:16 AM

That's true, but I don't have any place for an extra tank right now. Wonder if I could just sell them the tank back haha
Old 11-29-2007, 07:52 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveKran View Post
That's true, but I don't have any place for an extra tank right now. Wonder if I could just sell them the tank back haha
Well I think the place I went to gave me the tank but charged me 150 for the pick up tube. If you find one tell them they can keep the tank. Or clean the tank real good and scrap it. do you have the metal tank or the plastic tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.