Another CCV question......... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2007, 03:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Another CCV question.........

Sorry for another CCV question but I have read so much and it appears that the biggest concern is backpressure and the need to avoid any due to engine oil leak issues. I have seen many CCV mods built but was wondering why you couldn't just use a "breather tank" that comes with a breather filter and drain valve. Summit racing has a 1 quart sized one with the mounting hardware and all for about $27 (Summit Racing Pt#SUM-G1505) and all you would need is hose. Any issues with just being simple and going this route?
Attached Thumbnails
Another CCV question.........-sum-g1505.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2007, 03:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

That would work I havent seen that. I use 3/4" heater hose and have $20 in the hole thing. Some kits Ive seen for about $45.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

sounds like a good idea, the inlet size is small 1/4 and the vent off the doghouse is 3/4,
but since the tank is vented I think it would work.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The inlet size would possibly be a concern to me regarding potential backpressure but there are other similar "tanks" typically found in drag race applications with larger fittings that are available and they have a filter, etc.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:44 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

That inlet is way to small and it will cause BP on the engine. You also don't know what filter media they are using inside. If it is like the Raccor models it is to dense for our trucks and will cause BP. I have researched the CCV system and different CCV mods for a few years now in developing the system I manufacturer, and the slightest change can affect things in a very negative way. You can experiment if you want to, but I am telling you that inlet would have to opened way up.
NCHornet
Old 11-29-2007, 05:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I knew the inlet size was too restrictive; the pic was just a way to show what type of canister setup I was trying to inquire feedback on. I was not looking into filter media as I was looking to just vent to the canister and not route back to the intake side and drain the oil from there and rely on the filtered canister to prevent any kind of backpressure. With that setup there should be little or no BP issues especially if I route the hose correctly without low spots or kinks, etc. I see people seem to be 50/50 on the eco-friendly version vs. atmosphere dump although those of us with straight pipes are probably dumping more pollutants than a crankcase vent. Thanks NCHORNET for the feedback and I am still deciding right now but i do like your setup and may get one. Will your system need to have the filter media replaced at some point in time to prevent clogging over time? Thanks again for the help. This forum provides alot of useful info; what did we do before the internet..............................
Old 11-29-2007, 05:48 AM
John Wood Nut Swinger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
We blew engine seals experimenting........

BTW, NCHornet is your man when it comes to CCV canisters. Keep in touch with him when you figure out what you are going to do.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:44 PM
Powerstroke Junkie

Thanks for the compliment. I have spent several years on this one mod. Just because you aren't returning the line to the intake you still have restriction if the media is to finem or the inlet size isn't correct, you can have restriction even if you vent to atmosphere, get a low spot that fills with oil and watch your seals start weeping! I am telling you it is a fine line, and no the filter media never has to be changed, mine is going on 4 years and has never been off the truck, and my intake boots look like new, see pics of my engine in my sig.
NCHornet
Old 11-30-2007, 02:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

NCHornet
I don't see any pics of your ccv mod in the pics. Can you post a pic and let me know how much you want for one. Also does it reconnect back into your intake?
Old 12-01-2007, 06:29 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

Yes it comes back to the factory location on the intake, this way it doesn't alter the factory flow of air into the intake. If you didn't want to modify a aftermarket intake to accept the return line, you could simply vent the return line to atmosphere. There will be no oil, but I can't promise there wouldn't be any odor. I will PM you all the info on it.
NCHornet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.