Traveling 2500 Miles With 175,000 miles- Would You Do It? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Would You Make A 3000 Mile Trip In A PS That Has 175,000 miles
I Would Do It And Not Think Twice About It 64 92.75%
I Would Do It But I Would Be Lerious 4 5.80%
I Wouldnt Even Try It 1 1.45%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2007, 06:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Traveling 2500 Miles With 175,000 miles- Would You Do It?

I need to make a 2500mi round trip and my truck has 175,000 miles on it.

Would you do it?

Anything I should do except changing the fluids?

I havent had the truck that long.... maybe six months
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2007, 08:28 PM
John Wood Nut Swinger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I take one to two trips a year to Kelowna, BC. 1100 miles each way pulling a 10K trailer. My truck has 166K on it and I would not even worry about it. Last trip we went to Banff, Jasper NP and Calgary as well and logged a total of 3300miles on that trip.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Change Fluids & use fuel addative and I wouldn't even worry.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:23 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
instead of making new threads you can also keep bumping up your old one. every time somthing gets posted in one it gets bumped to the top of the home page and the forum you posted on.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:28 PM

You should be more worried about getting a flat tire than breaking down.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:36 AM
I have excessive flatulance!!

Send a message via AIM to Diesel Nick
When I moved I took a 2300 mile trip pulling a car totally weight probably came to the area of 5k lbs... I ran the truck for 24 hours stright without a problem I stopped for 2 hours and made the rest of the trip without any problems and at the time I had 130k miles on my truck. I would do it again right now with 160k
Old 11-27-2007, 05:51 AM

if the truck is in good shape, I would not worry at all. I got mine with 158k on it and plan to put another 150k and more! If a diesel is taken care of, they will go 300k + like nothing!

I would change the oil and fuel filter first then check to make sure your suspension is sound (bearings seals and all) 175k on stock drive line parts is a bunch. When I got my truck it had 158k and I took it to get all the fluids changed (diffs, tcase, oil, tranny, filters) and they also found that one of my wheel bearings was about to fail, so they replaced that too. then my tranny flush went south and i ended up with a rebuild. my tranny was probably going to fail soon anyway so its good i was not far from home when it died. Now I set for a while!

I know many people with 200+ miles on PSDs and there are people around the forum that have WAY more then that on their PSDs. I know others with diesels (cummins and big rigs) that have 500k and more also!

The way I see it, your truck will fall apart around your engine. The truck will stop rolling before the engine dies! of course that is if you take care of it!!
Old 11-27-2007, 06:15 AM
Learning the 6.0 game…...

I made a "mad dash" trip last December with my truck. It had 210,000 on it then. I left Sacramento pulling my Camaro on a trailer headed for Central S.C. I left Sun. @ noon. Midnight I stopped in Flagstaff, AZ. Next morning I took off and stopped @ about 1a.m. in Ft. Smith ARK. Took off Tues. Morning, and that night (Tues night) I was in Central S.C.

Wendsday we did some business and Wendsday afternoon I was back on the road! Stopped in Ft. Smith, ARK again that night, woke up Thursday morning and drove 29 straight hours! The next pillow my head hit was my own, which was about 10am on Fri. morning! I drove straight through from the OK, Ark border! I was seeing some CRAZY sheeot when I was going over the Tehachapee Mountains comming into CA. from sleep depravation.

I was in a HUGE hurry to get back because it was like 3 days before Christmas, AND the guys were shooting limits of ducks and geese everyday I was gone. Figures!

I took the HWY 40 from CA to Tennessee, turned south through Chattanooga to Atlanta, then east into Central S.C. and back the same way.

I had JUST MISSED a helacious storm in the high desert. When I went through east bound I left Flagstaff really early because it started to snow (i'm 2wd) and I'm to LAZY to chain a dually! So I stayed ahead of the storm. BUT comming back somewhere between Amarillo and N.M. There was a TON of snow, and a TON of overturned rigs on the side of the highway, and the weather was clear again. Talk about good timing!

PLUS ON THE WAY HOME: I got pulled over in TX. somewhere east of Amarillo for speeding! Pulling my Camaro 80MPH in the fast lane on HWY 40 BABY! He was cool to me after he saw my Army service stickers and let me off with a written warning. Which was a good thing for me because I sold the guy in S.C. the motor out of my car and I had 15K in cash and a loaded Desert Eagle .50Cal I was actually praying to GOD he didn't want to search my truck. I wasn't doing anything wrong, but it sure looks bad!

Last edited by sevenmalards; 11-27-2007 at 06:27 AM.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:22 AM
Learning the 6.0 game…...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverydayDiesel View Post
I need to make a 2500mi round trip and my truck has 175,000 miles on it.

Would you do it?

Anything I should do except changing the fluids?

I havent had the truck that long.... maybe six months
Just keep a good eye on your tires (like 2005F250 said) air 'em up proper, make sure the spare is inflated. When I made my trip I took an extra fan belt, some coolant, some oil I had to buy that washer fluid that doesn't freeze (we don't need it here) I changed my trans fluid and filter and made sure my rear diff fluid level was good, and changed the oil before I left. That was about it. I'd do it agian in a second, and she's got 230K+ now.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:37 AM

Absolutely no problem at all for a PSD!! We put on 30000 miles a year towing an 19000 lb camper behind us. Ours has 169000 right now and all we had go wrong was a cam sensor and I had my brake calipers replaced and the rear pinion seal replaced. Other than that, just careful thorough maintence and she keeps on being reliable! I do carry an extra fan belt and an extra cam sensor though!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.