Cold weather and Electrical question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2007, 04:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cold weather and Electrical question

For some reason i have replaced an alternator every damn winter since i have had my truck. I have replaced the alternator 2 times in the two years i have owned her. It only does this when it gets cold out. I changed the starter last year, GPR, Batteries, and alternator and yet i get the same result every winter. Since i changed the GPR it almost seems like i lose power when the truck is off. Sometimes when i turn the key to the start position there is almost like a click or buzzer sound behind the ignition key. I also see that my battery voltage is lower also. They aren't dead, but lower than they should be. I live in missouri and its only getting to about 25 degrees at night. I can only get like 3 good cranks sometimes and then it goes down hill voltage wise. Also when i have the truck plugged in the batteries don't seem to lose voltage. The buzzer sound is none existant when the truck is plugged in. IT only started making the buzzer sound when i changed the GPR. PLEASE HELP. PS Sorry this is such a long thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2007, 04:48 PM

Where in st. louis are you at? Sorry can't help you out, but I know a guy at a battery shop in Arnold that might be able to tell if you have a draw, and maybe where. Ellis battery talk to Bob Starkey.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:53 PM

no kidding. I am from South County extremely close to Arnold. I am at school about 45 minutes away now but i know where Arnold is. My sister actually lives there
Old 11-27-2007, 03:07 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

Having the electrical system checked for a constant draw is a good idea. Where are you getting you alt from? If it is these lifetime warrant units from AZ and the like, that may be your problem. They use the cheapest parts they can find to rebuild them. Try a good alt from DB Electrical next time, they make excellent alt and starters.
NCHornet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.