Yup...Another Tires Thread - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 01:44 PM
The Screwy HEUI

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Yup...Another Tires Thread

Just looking to see what everyone's running for tires. Right now, I'm running a set of 265/75/R16(stock rims) & they're GoodYear Wranglers. These tires didn't really meet my expectations, I'm actually really disappointed with them. They kind of wore down fast after having them for the past 3 years, with nothing wrong with the alignment or other front end issues. The 1st set of tires it had were Toyo Open Country A/Ts(same size) & I liked them slightly better than the GYs. They were wearing great, until my A-hole neighbor across the way decided to put wood screws in front of my driveway & they just had too many holes to try to salvage with plugs. There's a BFG model I've seen on a friend's Super Duty with a mildly more aggressive tread, & the truck hasn't been around for me to look at them. They caught my eye, but I'd rather see them up close one more time before I went out & bought some.

I guess what I'm saying is, I'm looking for a deeper-tread with a more aggressive pattern, but I DO NOT want to be looking into bigger tires or something that would work better in the woods or on a trail & hums louder than the engine on the road. I don't take this particular truck off-road & it has no plans of being prepped to go wheeling. It's strictly a road warrior, & anyone who lives or has driven in New England knows that good tires are important for our F-ed up winters. So I'd really like to keep it 265/75.

Money is somewhat an issue for tires. I've got $$$ up to a $900 set, but if I REALLY like what I see, I could stretch it to $1100, & not a penny more. I really do like BFGs, I'd like to stay away from GoodYear if possible, & I don't mind companies like Dunlop or Continental. Just as long as these tires fit my criteria: stock size, aggressive road tire. Pics are very much appreciated, but not necessary. Thanks to all in advance......OH! & if the tires can come with white lettering, that's always a PLUS too! I'm a child of the 80s, I loves the white lettering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2013, 02:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I just bought a set of Cooper Discoverer ATP all terrains. They are 265/75/16 10 ply. I got them from Americas Tire and they were about $750 installed out the door. I think they look great but I only have about 100 miles on them so I couldn't tell you how they wear. Cooper makes a good tire though so I'm hoping to get some good mileage out of them. You can google this tire to see some pics.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:14 PM

We just recently put new tires on both the Excursion and my red truck. Got General Grabber AT2's, the local NTB offered them to me with a 60K mile tread wear warrentee. I haven't put more than 1,000 miles on them so I have no idea how well they wear... but with the warrentee, I'm ok if they don't last long. Where I live, and the roads I'm on, I've never had good luck with tire life, so a warrentee was a requirement. But I really like the tread pattern, they do some with white outline letters, and so far, do good in the snow.

Here they are on our Excursion, 305/70/16's on stock wheels:

and on my red truck in 315/75/16 on Cepec DC-2 16x10 wide wheels:

Old 01-25-2013, 02:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have run BFG ATs on both my truck since I have been old enough to drive. They look great and hold up very well. The load range e ones on my diesel have never let me down. They have good traction off-road, but make no discernable noise on the road. Id recommend them to anyone.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:31 PM
Premium Member

Running Nitto Terra Grappler 265/75/R16 which works out to about 31.54inx10.75in. Had them on for a yr and love them so far. Great on the road, they wear very even on my truck, no issues hydroplaning, good mileage (18-21 hwy depending on speed), quiet enough (like we can hear them anyway), and they look pretty good I think. I got them in load range E and keep them at 80psi all around. Towed heavy with them for over 500 miles in one day and no issues. Filled up the bed with concrete no issues. I dont go offroad but they see the occasional gravel and dirt road and some grass and they are plenty for my needs. I plan on getting them again or the Dura Grappler in a hair taller and about an inch skinnier
Old 01-26-2013, 04:34 AM
The Screwy HEUI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99' Powerstroke View Post
I just bought a set of Cooper Discoverer ATP all terrains. They are 265/75/16 10 ply. I got them from Americas Tire and they were about $750 installed out the door. I think they look great but I only have about 100 miles on them so I couldn't tell you how they wear. Cooper makes a good tire though so I'm hoping to get some good mileage out of them. You can google this tire to see some pics.
Cooper does make a good tire. I'm open to anything, so I'll definitely check them out on google. How do you like the ride?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselcrawler View Post
We just recently put new tires on both the Excursion and my red truck. Got General Grabber AT2's, the local NTB offered them to me with a 60K mile tread wear warrentee. I haven't put more than 1,000 miles on them so I have no idea how well they wear... but with the warrentee, I'm ok if they don't last long. Where I live, and the roads I'm on, I've never had good luck with tire life, so a warrentee was a requirement. But I really like the tread pattern, they do some with white outline letters, and so far, do good in the snow.

Here they are on our Excursion, 305/70/16's on stock wheels:

and on my red truck in 315/75/16 on Cepec DC-2 16x10 wide wheels:

Those look very similar to the BFGs I was talking about in the OP. How much did these cost you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyofordpower View Post
I have run BFG ATs on both my truck since I have been old enough to drive. They look great and hold up very well. The load range e ones on my diesel have never let me down. They have good traction off-road, but make no discernable noise on the road. Id recommend them to anyone.
Do your BFGs have an actual model name, or are they called "ATs"? I really do love BFGs. Do you have any pics? And how much did these cost you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC2001PSD7.3 View Post
Running Nitto Terra Grappler 265/75/R16 which works out to about 31.54inx10.75in. Had them on for a yr and love them so far. Great on the road, they wear very even on my truck, no issues hydroplaning, good mileage (18-21 hwy depending on speed), quiet enough (like we can hear them anyway), and they look pretty good I think. I got them in load range E and keep them at 80psi all around. Towed heavy with them for over 500 miles in one day and no issues. Filled up the bed with concrete no issues. I dont go offroad but they see the occasional gravel and dirt road and some grass and they are plenty for my needs. I plan on getting them again or the Dura Grappler in a hair taller and about an inch skinnier
I've always wanted Terra Gapplers since I've seen them in Diesel World/Power magazines, but I always thought money was an issue. I like your description of them. They sound like what I'm looking for. So we don't have a lot of noise, but how much cabbage were your Nittos? You wouldn't believe this list I've compiled with names & prices on a single piece of paper. It looks like a bunch of scribbles, but if you look close there's a bunch of brand names & prices etched everywhere. LOL!
Old 01-26-2013, 05:00 AM

Re: Yup...Another Tires Thread

The 315's on the red truck were bought outright and were just a few bucks shy of a grand mounted and ballenced. The 305's on the Ex were a bit less but cost was offset by the previous set of tires mileage warrentee. I got just over $60 per tire back. With the discount mount and ballance I think they were about $600. As well as the break they gave me for buying 2 sets of tires in about a week.

I know you said you want the 265's... but stepping up one size to the 285's will get a little more rubber on the road and help with tire wear. We squezed 305's on the Ex with stock wheels. Rubs a little at full lock but that seems to be the only issue to date. Fills the wheel well nicely.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 01-26-2013, 05:22 AM
The Screwy HEUI

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselcrawler View Post
The 315's on the red truck were bought outright and were just a few bucks shy of a grand mounted and ballenced. The 305's on the Ex were a bit less but cost was offset by the previous set of tires mileage warrentee. I got just over $60 per tire back. With the discount mount and ballance I think they were about $600. As well as the break they gave me for buying 2 sets of tires in about a week.

I know you said you want the 265's... but stepping up one size to the 285's will get a little more rubber on the road and help with tire wear. We squezed 305's on the Ex with stock wheels. Rubs a little at full lock but that seems to be the only issue to date. Fills the wheel well nicely.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Thanks for the info, man! Much appreciated. I don't have a problem with going to 285's, but I'd really need to see a set of 305's in real life to make a decision. My truck started life off with the absolute lightest spring package you could get for a Super Duty for the '01 model year. I've even had people ask me if my truck was really a 4x4 & if I just put the 4x4 OFF ROAD decals on the bed for show(). A few years back, I had broken one of my rear leaf springs & eventually that side had broken all the way down to the main spring. I tricked my wife into buying me 2 brand-new leaf packs for the rear, with 1 extra leaf to both packs over stock. Now, with the front leaf springs untouched, my rear looks like it points up in the air & the nose is low to the ground. I don't have problems with putting taller tires in the rear, it's the front I'm worried about. But I'd also like to keep all 4 tires the same dimensions. At this time, I've only got money for tires.......don't have money to raise the front & make it look like every other normal Super Duty.

BTW- dieselcrawler: Love your collection of trucks. Especially the K30. Just finished building an '83 K30 with a friend. THEY ARE FUN!

Last edited by RadarRider; 01-26-2013 at 05:26 AM.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:50 AM

Cooper or Yokohama Geolander
Old 01-26-2013, 06:05 AM

I think your looking for the BF Goodrich TA /KO's , i had a set in a 37" that had almost 40k with an easy 10k left when i sold the truck , was happy enough i had already bought a second set that went with the truck when i sold it. Have also had three sets of Nitto Terra Grapplers and they are great tires as well IMO , ride good , good wear , good life. Am currently on a set of Pro Comp X-Terrains and they are alright , have 35k on them with probably 15k left on them. They are getting noisier though as they wear down. Try discounttiredirect.com on your prices. You should be able to get any of the above for under a grand easy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.