Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

winter Mpg

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  slednecks03f7 
#1 ·
So what's the difference between the winter blend fuel an the summer blend? Iam in north central ohio and iam averaging 13mpg rite now. 16 in summer empty all around driving. Another reason to hate wintere. What are some of you getting rite now.

#2 ·
Your mileage sounds about right...

Winter Blend is, up to, 30% Kerosene (at least it used to be before USLD, might be the same I'm not sure) and, since Kero has much less "energy" per gal, your mileage suffers. I've often wondered if the colder, more dense, air contributes too...

#5 ·
I'm in NW Ohio and was talking to a fuel truck driver and he said all fuel stations except speedway are now running 20% biodiesel 80% #2. He stated Sunoco started this idea. Speedway still uses 20% kerosene. Nobody puts extra additives in, at least that's what the driver told me. Unless they do it when it comes out of refinement but before it goes into the main storage tanks. He was an independent contract driver that fills any station regardless of the sign out front.
Just relaying info, so don't shoot the messenger. :beer:

Also said most loose 1-2 mpg's

Also, that article is good info about fuel wax. When your heater element goes bad in your fuel bowl. You really should replace it. Its cheap insurance, so to say.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

#6 ·
Biggbrooks, that milage sounds about right. In the summer Im usually between 18-19mpg. Im down around 15 now. I run mostly highway but some in town stuff. id say your in the ball park. cant wait for it to warm up!

#8 ·
like hucorey said, most stations are running 5-20% blends depending on the stations. as far as hurting injectors, I dont think it will damage the injector itself, but I think it can be hard on o-rings depending how strong the blend, someone with more bio knowledge may be able to clear that up more though!

#9 ·
My truck normally drops in the winter. winter normally hits about 15 maybe a bit less if Im towing the sleds around. However this winter I am loosing a bit more. im hanging out around 12mpg and I drive the same.. What could be wrong? or need to be done/cleaned?. Ive had it a few yrs now. 2000 with 165k. starts and runs the same. same size tires.

In MN. dont usually drive it when it gets below 10F. I run the same cold air front as the last two winters so i dont think I am blocking too much air because it hasnt been this bad before.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.