Clutch sensor kill switch? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 07:41 AM
Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Clutch sensor kill switch?

I had a thread about this a few days ago and i just had a thought but i have no idea where it is, but could i put a kill switch on the clutch sensor that prevents the starter from cranking unless the clutch is pressed.

My question is where is that sensor, is it right up by the clutch or is it in the engine bay or what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2013, 08:00 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to buckels Send a message via MSN to buckels Send a message via Yahoo to buckels
My truck will not start without the clutch pressed...
Old 01-25-2013, 08:06 AM
Chapter Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckles24 View Post
My truck will not start without the clutch pressed...
Exactly that what i want, i want to be able to shut off the sensor that tells the engine the clutch is pressed so that even when a thief presses the clutch nothing happens but when i flip the switch it works just like normal
Old 01-25-2013, 08:10 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

there's a few ways to disable it...you can remotely mount a relay between the starter solenoid, then run the switched 12v into cab, disabling the power to relay. or can go the knarly route...

SpringerPop's Disabler

Think, our trucks sensor is the electric hechanism, located on the m/s shaft...theres a few wires i guess you can probe around, and see what 2 you need to connect to.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:18 AM
Chapter Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyboy76 View Post
there's a few ways to disable it...you can remotely mount a relay between the starter solenoid, then run the switched 12v into cab, disabling the power to relay. or can go the knarly route...

SpringerPop's Disabler

Think, our trucks sensor is the electric hechanism, located on the m/s shaft...theres a few wires i guess you can probe around, and see what 2 you need to connect to.
Yea...well when it comes to electricity im very but the reason i want to do the clutch kill switch is when you dont have the clutch pressed the truck doesnt do anything at all and i figured this sensor is basically a starter kill switch already so why not use it instead of screwing with engine wiring. Im looking for a theft deterrent, not a 100% stop all theves thing. Just something better than nothing
Old 01-27-2013, 04:42 PM
Chapter Director

Any ideas guys?
Old 01-27-2013, 05:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I wonder if this will work... and what would happen if you try to bump or push start it.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:40 PM
Chapter Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3Lifted View Post
I wonder if this will work... and what would happen if you try to bump or push start it.
Well basically it would be a switch that interrupts the sensor that tells the engine that the clutch is pressed and allows the engine to crank. With the switch off it will be like the clutch isnt pressed which wont let the engine crank i just havent been up there to look yet so i thought id see if anyone has had success doing this
Old 01-28-2013, 10:36 AM

So, what you are asking for is where the clutch switch is? If you are asking for your 7.3 monster there, the clutch switch is on the inside of the cab and rides on the clutch push rod. It is actually a set of 2 switches combined into one unit. One that determines if the clutch is all the way pushed (for starting) and the other tells it if the clutch is partially pressed (for disengaging the cruise control). Both of these mount in one switch and the switch is removed by pressing the sides of the electrical connector together to disconnect the harness, then remove the cover by pressing the sides of that cover together and removing it. The switch can then be rotated and removed from within the cab if necessary.

The switch rides freely on the rod and if you pull it out a bit, you can rotate it for easier access to the harness.

You could very easily put in a secondary switch to act as a starter kill for what you are looking for. It would have no effect on bump starting though.

Hope this is what you were looking for...
Old 01-28-2013, 10:50 AM
Chapter Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona_SVO View Post
So, what you are asking for is where the clutch switch is? If you are asking for your 7.3 monster there, the clutch switch is on the inside of the cab and rides on the clutch push rod. It is actually a set of 2 switches combined into one unit. One that determines if the clutch is all the way pushed (for starting) and the other tells it if the clutch is partially pressed (for disengaging the cruise control). Both of these mount in one switch and the switch is removed by pressing the sides of the electrical connector together to disconnect the harness, then remove the cover by pressing the sides of that cover together and removing it. The switch can then be rotated and removed from within the cab if necessary.

The switch rides freely on the rod and if you pull it out a bit, you can rotate it for easier access to the harness.

You could very easily put in a secondary switch to act as a starter kill for what you are looking for. It would have no effect on bump starting though.

Hope this is what you were looking for...
Yea thats kinda what i was asking about because i wanted to make sure that sensor was in fact in the cab before i go cutting wires.

Basically i want the sensor that tells the starter the clutch is pressed to have an on and off switch so that when i turn it off its as if the clutch is not pressed even though it is, thus foiling most thefts.

When i flip the switch on, the sensor will act just as it does normally like when it rolled off the assembly line
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.