High Idle and diesel leak - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2007, 08:02 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
High Idle and diesel leak

This morning I went out and started my truck and it was about 20 degrees. I went inside to get some stuff and was gone no more than 10 min. When I came back out the truck was idling at 900-1000 rpm and was leaking diesel out of a hose from the front of the motor. I drove the truck and didn't notice any power loss or anything abnormal, but what would this be from? I had my tuner out so it was in stock form, except for the intake and exhaust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2007, 04:11 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

The high idle is part of the cold weather package, it will increase the idle in order to burn as much fuel as possible, so nothing wrong there. The fuel leaking from the drain tube are the O rings in the fuel/water seperator, they can be easily changed or you can buy the complete drain valve for under $50. Make sure if you choose to do the O ring you use Viton O rings, there are people selling them cheap on Ebay, or Google "Powerstroke O rings" and you can get the part # and go to a hydraulic shop, shouldn't cost more than a couple bucks. Pm me with any more ?
Old 11-24-2007, 04:16 AM

I had the same leak. I just put a bolt in the end of the hose to get me to the dealership without loosing all that 3.44 a gallon stuff!
Old 11-24-2007, 07:06 AM

Well as soon as I touched the pedal and revved the motor a bit the idle fell back to normal. It didn't stay that high the whole time. Thanks for the info on the o-rings. It hasn't done it again but I will take a look.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:10 AM
<--Pro Cooler Racer

Send a message via Skype™ to DKR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan734 View Post
Well as soon as I touched the pedal and revved the motor a bit the idle fell back to normal. It didn't stay that high the whole time.

Yeah, the cold high idle will only do it if the truck is parked and idling. As soon as you hit the pedal, the RPMs will drop to normal. Oh, and just FYI, it should sit right about 1000RPMs.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:47 AM

Cool didn't know the truck would do that. I will have to get some of those o-rings now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.