efficiency & mileage - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2007, 07:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
efficiency & mileage

Howdy-

Don't mean to offend anyones sensibilities, but: Any one out there modified a 7.3 for efficiency? I don't need to tow much (3k-5k lbs) and mostly use the beast for commutes. With the price of fuel being what it is, I want to get the best MPG out of my truck ('00 F-250 4wd LB XCab) that I can. Seems that with the torque this thing produces, I can tune for MPG and still have plenty of power.

Any ideas or pointers would be appreciated.

--Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2007, 07:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

most tunes will do some kind of MPG increase.

try going to the following link:

Gear Vendors under/overdrive transmissions the most awarded auxiliary transmissions.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:28 PM
Cynic

I'm SERIOUSLY considering Gear Vendors OD unit when I have BTS rebuild my 4r100.
Old 11-24-2007, 03:54 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

A GV unit isn't cheap and that will be a long term payoff!! There was a guy in Diesel Power magazine and he's a member of another forum who has done extensive testing with the 7.3 and mpg. He has gotten 24 mpg, but he pretty much gutted the truck and smoothed every angle on the body. If you want the best mpg, you need a boost gauge, the sweeet spot in our trucks for mpg is anything below 1800rpm's, if you can keep it here and maintain the lowest boost possible you will obtain the best mpg. Gearing is a HUGE part of milage. I have 4:10's so at 1800 rpm's I am barely doing 60mph, you'll get killed in NC driving that slow, so it is all a trade off. The member above went to 3:08's which are not available, he had them made. Of course his towing capacity went way down to a 1/2 ton, but this wasn't his concern. For the average guy just wanting the best mpg, keep your tires air up to the max pressure, lousy ride, less rolling resistance, keep rpm's and boost as low as possible. Letting the engine breathe by adding a better flowing intake and exhaust will also help a bunch. The only tune I have seen consistent mpg gains is with DP-Tuners 80 econo. I have it but I find the extra 103HP to tempting to get any milage increase, lol!!! Call Jody he can probably tweak the shift points for you, if you really want the best mpg, as long as you realize when you make changes like this it will affect other areas, like towing capacity, etc.... but let Jody explain all that. I didn't buy a 1 ton crew cab dually truck to get great mpg, if that is what I was after I would have bought a Kia. To be honest with you I am totally amazed that a 8200lb truck gets 15 mpg around town, heck that's better than my F150 got!!! Although with fuel going up like it is every extra mile we can squeeze out the better, that is why I will be making Bio by the end of winter. Good Luck.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks guys!

Thanks for the info. I'll look at the DP tunes and see what makes sense. The GV looks like a great product: better mileage AND better towing. But I'm never going to have the $3500 for it, and I doubt I'll have this truck long enough to see the return. And the intake and exhaust stuff I was probably going to do anyway, just for fun!

I would have been happy if they made a PSD Ranger! I wanted diesel so I can make my own WVO or BioD. And the 250 is the smallest production diesel pickup in the US, at least as far as I can tell. Okay, so I didn't need to buy the 4x4 longbed but if you're gonna go, go all the way, right?

Thanks again.
--Dave
Old 11-24-2007, 12:51 PM
Powerstroke Junkie

I too will be making my own BIO by Spring and I am looking for a older VW TDI rabbit or a Mercedes to run WVO in.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:56 PM
Serving Our Country!

Check out my post. I didn't start out trying to get the best mileage, but it's a happy coincidence.

Spent WAY too much on exhaust mod (My Saga)...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.