Catalytic converter delete, if emissions testing? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 07:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Catalytic converter delete, if emissions testing?

So, just bought an excursion and I'm beginning to plan out mods to improve MPGs. First step is going to be a new intake, then I'm considering changing the exhaust.
My question is this: I live in Arizona, which requires emission testings to register the vehicle. If I straight pipe my excursion (or at least remove the catalytic converter and get a high-flow muffler), will that cause a problem when I get my vehicle tested? (I think I understand the maximum allowed opacity in Maricopa County is 20%)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2013, 06:09 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Depends on if it even came with one. Some 7.3's do not. Mine came with no emissions equipment and it passes here in CO every year. I don't remember what my actual numbers were however.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:53 PM
The Screwy HEUI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3Lariat View Post
Depends on if it even came with one. Some 7.3's do not. Mine came with no emissions equipment and it passes here in CO every year. I don't remember what my actual numbers were however.
I don't mean to hijack the OPs thread, but they actually run your truck for emissions? I've rarely seen cats/o2 sensors on 7.3s here in New England(my PSD AND my IDI both don't have any emissions equip.). In RI, they only test for safety(brakes, lights, etc.)nothing for emissions, even if it's a DPF system. Just as long as it's 8500lb or greater. I'd like to see what kind of emission #'s my truck would put out...
Old 01-24-2013, 02:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yeah, they do, from what I understand. I've never actually had to register a vehicle in Az. I moved from Tx and hadn't changed over my reg's since I've been a FT student.
But from what I understand, they plug in and check for codes that would indicate an exhaust problem, then they put sensor on the end of the pipe. At least in Maricopa and Pima counties. If you have codes or your numbers are too high, its a no-go.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:09 PM

On the sticker under the hood does it say "catalyst" or "non-catalyst"? If it say catalyst then they will expect to see a cat. Removing emissions equipment is a federal offense, whether or not your state inspects for it.

I think I might have read that only some '99s had cats—and probably only those that were "California" trucks. Of course my e99 has a cat.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:10 PM

Re: Catalytic converter delete, if emissions testing?

In Maricopa county (PHX) they only do tailpipe smog test. They do look for EGR and CAT on trucks requiring them. No OBD tests.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 01-25-2013, 04:30 AM
The Screwy HEUI

Quote:
Originally Posted by greater_than_five View Post
Yeah, they do, from what I understand. I've never actually had to register a vehicle in Az. I moved from Tx and hadn't changed over my reg's since I've been a FT student.
But from what I understand, they plug in and check for codes that would indicate an exhaust problem, then they put sensor on the end of the pipe. At least in Maricopa and Pima counties. If you have codes or your numbers are too high, its a no-go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckBoatTruck View Post
On the sticker under the hood does it say "catalyst" or "non-catalyst"? If it say catalyst then they will expect to see a cat. Removing emissions equipment is a federal offense, whether or not your state inspects for it.

I think I might have read that only some '99s had cats—and probably only those that were "California" trucks. Of course my e99 has a cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beewoody View Post
In Maricopa county (PHX) they only do tailpipe smog test. They do look for EGR and CAT on trucks requiring them. No OBD tests.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
No kidding!? I was totally unaware they did any type of emissions testing on diesels, excluding DPF systems in the U.S. In all reality, I guess I should've known better. As far as I've seen, the only diesels I've worked on that had cats were '03 6.0s & newer. But like I had said, RI(surprisingly enough) doesn't check emissions on any vehicle @ 8500lb or greater. As a matter of fact, when I get all 3 of my trucks inspected, the only thing the inspector did was check the condition of my tires & made sure all of my lights were working---DONE. There has been talk that Rhode Island will, in fact, start emissions testing on any vehicle with a DPF system within the next few years & possibly anything before the 6.4L with emissions equip. They're trying to get rid of "grandfather" laws so eventually everyone has to get inspected & pay. You learn something new everyday, I guess. Sorry to the OP. I will not post anything else on this thread. I was just astonished there's actual emiss. testing on these trucks anywhere in the U.S. besides CA.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarRider View Post
I don't mean to hijack the OPs thread, but they actually run your truck for emissions? I've rarely seen cats/o2 sensors on 7.3s here in New England(my PSD AND my IDI both don't have any emissions equip.). In RI, they only test for safety(brakes, lights, etc.)nothing for emissions, even if it's a DPF system. Just as long as it's 8500lb or greater. I'd like to see what kind of emission #'s my truck would put out...
CO is pretty nazi about it because of a prior huge smog problem because it sits in kind of a bowl and the stuff just hangs over the area. Trucks older than 2003 have to do it yearly. New trucks only get two years of no smog as opposed to petrol vehicles which get four.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarRider View Post
No kidding!? I was totally unaware they did any type of emissions testing on diesels, excluding DPF systems in the U.S. In all reality, I guess I should've known better. As far as I've seen, the only diesels I've worked on that had cats were '03 6.0s & newer. But like I had said, RI(surprisingly enough) doesn't check emissions on any vehicle @ 8500lb or greater. As a matter of fact, when I get all 3 of my trucks inspected, the only thing the inspector did was check the condition of my tires & made sure all of my lights were working---DONE. There has been talk that Rhode Island will, in fact, start emissions testing on any vehicle with a DPF system within the next few years & possibly anything before the 6.4L with emissions equip. They're trying to get rid of "grandfather" laws so eventually everyone has to get inspected & pay. You learn something new everyday, I guess. Sorry to the OP. I will not post anything else on this thread. I was just astonished there's actual emiss. testing on these trucks anywhere in the U.S. besides CA.
Hey, no apologies needed. I had my question answered. When I lived in Tx, it was like it is in RI for you: just a quick walk around, check the turn signals, honk the horn, "here's your sticker". I miss that simplicity...
Old 01-25-2013, 05:43 AM

larger cities in AZ = Snap Idle , Opacity test

WOT around 4000 rpm and hold for three 2-3 second cycles

plus the visual EGR-Exhaust ETC

I think is sucks and most trucks never blow even a small percent of the limit

They will eventually plug into the OBD I fear

however outlying areas don't have the facilities so it's all based on your address on the registration

Last edited by ZMANN; 01-25-2013 at 05:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.