F350 Dually towing upgrade suggestions for best power and mileage - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2007, 03:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
F350 Dually towing upgrade suggestions for best power and mileage

Hello All! I am new to this forum though have looked at it from time to time. I have a good friend with an 02 F350 with 7.3 Powerstroke and he pulls a 43ish' 5th wheel race trailer and has recently had a few hiccups and it is time for some repairs/changes. It has a Banks powerpack on it now and the turbo went bad during a recent trip and because of his situation had to put a stock turbo back on as he didnt have time for anything else. Total weight with truck and trailer is in the 23K lb range, give or take a thousand pounds or so. He recently had a new trans and billet converter installed and now the engine doesnt want to pull at all as opposed to how well it pulled with the Banks turbo parts which are no longer on the truck. We are looking to do some work to the truck to best suite it for pulling this much weight, he never had any problems at all before the turbo went south and Im sure he has a lot of options for turbo replacement or other upgrades, but he still has all the other powerpack parts and an exhaust brake on the truck. What are some good proven recommendations for best pulling power with his current parts and requirements and also for best fuel mileage? He has had the truck over 100K miles and it has always pulled very well with the powerpack but I know there are more options out there and he needs something done soon as it doesnt pull well at all with the stock turbo back on. Thanks in advance for all who help with their thoughts.

Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2007, 06:30 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

First of all, he is working that F350 pretty good, and IIRC he is overloaded with that trailer. I would want at least a F450 or a MTD for that sized rig, but that's another subject and not our concern right now. I am not a fan of Banks products, there are far better options out there, although their exhaust brake isn't bad. If the truck was acceptable to him prior call the folks at blackwidow diesel or ITP and Elite diesel sells the Turbonetics units. I would talk with these folks and I am sure they can get you back to where it was. I myself would also call DP-Tuner and get some tunes from Jody they will walk all over the Banks stuff. But one thing at a time. You may want to have your buddy call as they will need to know everything he has done to the truck.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

NCHornet is right on with Jodys DP tuner. I tow A 38 ft Montana fiver with with my 99 F350 dulley 7.3 and I have the DP tuner 40-60-80 and love it for I pull lots of 6, 7, and 8 to 9% grades no problem.but your buddy is towing quiet a bit of weight with his rig, not the power part, but braking and cooling it would seem to be a problem.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks guys, Black Widow was referred to me by a good friend that keeps up on this stuff and he also suggested the turbonetics turbo so I checked that out and it looks like a nice upgrade. He has never had cooling or braking problems, and could always pull a steep grade to at least 70mph. Supposedly the Banks chip was supposed to up power 104 HP, or so he was told, and it is currently not on the truck as it was removed when the stock turbo went back on to get him home. He used to get an average of 9-10mpg pulling with that setup and before his turbo went south he was getting under 9. With the stock turbo and no chip he said on the way home it was getting about 7.5 which is terrible. I checked out the Banks website and it has a good description of everything that comes in the PowerPack. 4" exhaust, different turbo/intercooler pipes, larger intercooler, chip, turbine housing and compressor wheel, and Im sure Im leaving out something else put its all on the website. When he was looking into buying a new truck after all the trouble he had he didnt understand why the F450 was rated higher towing load yet had the same engine and trans, and at that why his truck had more tied to the back of it than it should yet most guys in the pits at the racetrack had the same setup for years with no trouble.... well Im sure they didnt have banks stuff but the same truck/trailer combo nonetheless. I think we are going to order the Turbonetics turbo this week and how do I get hold of the DP Tuner guy for a chip? He wont be pulling with his truck for a good few months I dont think but he wants it back up to snuff and then some so he doesnt have to worry about it. Thanks again for the help guys!
Old 11-27-2007, 03:13 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

DP-Tuner.com Jody and Dianee are good people!!
Old 11-27-2007, 06:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The f450's have heavier suspensions to start with...im sure there are other differences but im no tech. You see my mods in my sig and i have no problem pullin my 5er. The Edge helped alot with fuel mileage and power. I was gettin about 6 mpg loaded before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.