Transmission question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2007, 07:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Transmission question

Ok, first off, i dont know if i'm posting this in the appropriate section, so forgive if it isn't.

Right now my truck is for sale because i really dont want an auto. I wanted a 6 speed to begin with, but got so sick of waiting for one in my price range, that when the truck i currently have came around, i decided to forgo wanting a 6 speed truck and go ahead and get it because it was so well taken care of. well, anyways, 8 months later, i'm still badly wanting the 6 speed. Now here comes the heart of my question

how hard is a manual swap in these trucks? mine is a 2000 ext cab short bed xl truck. I've been told by a few people that its relatively not to complicated because all the cabs were built to have either one, in that there is a plate already in the floor for the shifter to come through and what not. And that bascially everything is straightforward.Now i know i would need the whole clutch assembly, and a new ECU along with the tranny, but is there more to this then it seems??

Also, I'm not saying i would actually be doing it myself. I would more the likely have someone do it for me if it is possible, only due to the fact that i just dont have the facility nor the tools to do it.

I dont know if 6 speed swaps are done that often or not, but if i can avoid selling my truck, that would probably be the best option. Just trying to figure out if its worth looking into and considering.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2007, 01:11 PM

i think i should have put this in
Ford Powerstroke 99-03 7.3L Forums --99-03 7.3L General Discussion
Old 11-21-2007, 10:10 PM

Can a Mod move this?

thank ya
Old 11-21-2007, 10:50 PM
im fat and ugly

its moved now, sorry for the delay

and heres a bump
Old 11-22-2007, 02:02 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

Yes it can be done, but I would only do this if you love the truck and plan on keeping it for awhile because you will never get the money out of it. Besides what you have already mentioned I would also think a new Master/slave cylinder and probably the puter from a 6spd. If you could find a doner truck it would be ideal!!
Old 11-22-2007, 05:01 AM

The floor in an auto is deeper than the floor in a 6sp. I drove an 01 6sp two days ago and noticed that. I have heard BTS can do this conversion. I am thinking that the floor problem could make it much more difficult than a normal auto to manual swap.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:10 AM
John Wood Nut Swinger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Get a built trans by BTS or JW and you will be just as happy as ever. They can put in a lockup switch and it can run and tow just like a stick.

Just thought I would throw that out there. Give BTS a call.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:47 PM

Talking

Thanks guys for all the info.

i think i may just end up keeping my truck and try to make my extreme urges for a 6 speed go away. My truck has been VERY well taken care of so itd be hard to get rid of. the whole underside of my truck looks like its a year or 2 old. all the factory stickers with part numbers on the driveshaft, cross member, etc. are in excellent shape. you can still read them. haha. quite well actually.

so i think the truck will stay

i will admit i shift gears all day long at work, alot of gears, and its kinda nice to just put her in drive and go. especially when i'm tired.

Automatics are most definitely a exhausted man's best friend

John Wood Transmission would be nice, but i dont think budget will allow that for quite some time

I'll just upgrade the VB, and possibly get a ungraded TC, and maybe a few other trans. goodies, before i chip her, and them hope she stays together
Old 11-24-2007, 04:39 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

This is my first auto, and I prefer it because my honey can now slide up beside me on those long trips and I don't get yelled at for bruising her knee cap when I change gears, lol!!!
Old 11-24-2007, 05:06 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
This is my first auto, and I prefer it because my honey can now slide up beside me on those long trips and I don't get yelled at for bruising her knee cap when I change gears, lol!!!
Sometimes i wish i had a manual though then my wife wouldnt wanna drive it all the time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.