Noob looking at 2001 F-250 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2007, 07:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Noob looking at 2001 F-250

I'm new to Ford diesel pickups. I've had F-150's since 1992 but no diesels.
I need a 4 door with the kids and all so I found a nice 2001 F-250 2 w.d., crew cab, 7.3 with 40,000 miles on it for 16k at a local dealer. The truck looks mint in and out. Looks perfect for what I need. My question is what can I expect for fuel mileage around town and on the highway? This will be my daily driver so mileage is important. My commute is short but I still end up putting 15k per year on my car. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks
Joe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2007, 03:20 AM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Blue01F250 Send a message via Yahoo to Blue01F250
That truck will get you about 14-15 in town and a good guess of 17-19 on the highway (all depending on your speed)

that truck is almost identical to mine and those are what I get -- sinec I've added a bedcover and run additive, I can get almost 21 on the hwy if I keep it under 70!!! It puts our old 97 F120 extended cab to shame!

also, that sounds like a HELLUVA deal on that low a mileage truck -- make sure they give you a copy of your oasis so you can make sure nothing is wrong with the truck.. and read over this thread.. just some things to think about (don't get scared after reading thru it, just keep the knowledge in your head so you know what to look out for )

What to look for when buying a USED 99-03 PSD
Old 11-21-2007, 03:25 AM
She's paid for!!!!!!

I agree with what Brant said, get an oasis and look it over real good.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:42 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

Pull the top off the air box, if you see a K&N drop in filter pass on the deal. Pull the intake hose and shine a light at the turbo fan, if it is chipped or the edges rolled over it means it has enhaled dirt and dirt is death to a diesel, runaway.
If the previous owner ran a chip or tune without a pyrometer runaway.
I would try and find out who the past owner was and call him up. This could be a real gem or somebody elses problem. Low milage 7.3's are getting real hard to find, around here that truck would get 20K+ real easy!!! You better act quick, the only reason it ain't gone yet might be because of the cost of fuel right now. But if somebody who is looking for a good puller it will be gone quick!!! PM me with any ?
Old 11-26-2007, 05:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well, except for a few minor issues everything looked good on the truck.
The rear passenger door lock didn't work and the previous owner had a 5th wheel hitch installed which left 4 1.5" holes in the bed. The dealer agreed to fix the door lock and get plugs for the holes in the bed. The truck is a one owner and was purchased new and serviced by the same dealer. He has all of the records. The truck is completley stock except for the fiberglass cap and that is painted to match. I pick it up tomorrow after work. We'll see how it goes, I think I did what I can to check it out as well as possible. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Thanks for all the help.
Joe
Old 11-27-2007, 02:23 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

Congrats on purchasing the best truck Ford ever made. Now stay on this forum and learn all you can. We want to see pics!!!
Old 11-27-2007, 05:16 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

dang sounds like you found a sweet deal!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.