Considering a full build. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 07:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Considering a full build.

Ok so I'm away a lot for work and the times I am home my son and I enjoy working on our trucks together. We have always said it would be fun to build something badass and fast. So I'm tossing around doing a full build motor transfer the hole nine yards so my son and I have something to do together. If I'm gonna do this I'm gonna shoot for big numbers in talking 800rwhp or higher. So what are some good websites to go with? And places to get parts that can handle this power?Im doing fully built from top to bottom transfer rear end everything. Suggestions comments? Would really like to do this for time with my son. Thanks everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013, 07:51 AM
Premium Starfish Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
If you're looking at building a 800hp motor (at the wheels) - do a 6.0 (bullet proof'd) buildup instead.
The 7.3's are a good motor - but not very practical as an 800HP motor, not to mention the cost to build it and make it a reliable 800+hp motor.
Otherwise - just do a Cummins swap. It'll be fairly easy to get those numbers your wanting.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the idea I didn't really think about the 6.0. Gonna have to shop around and see if I can find a 6.0 truck for cheap that way I can sink my teeth into it.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:30 AM
The Screwy HEUI

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzPatMan View Post
If you're looking at building a 800hp motor (at the wheels) - do a 6.0 (bullet proof'd) buildup instead.
The 7.3's are a good motor - but not very practical as an 800HP motor, not to mention the cost to build it and make it a reliable 800+hp motor.
Otherwise - just do a Cummins swap. It'll be fairly easy to get those numbers your wanting.
In all due respect: the 7.3 is not practical as an 800hp motor??? Well, maybe not 800, but SCUFFY828 has an '03 F-350 7.3L built mid to high 700s & he continues to push it to the limit. I'd either build up a 7.3 for it's reliability(yes- far more reliable than a 6.0), or go with your other advice & build a Cummins up & drop it in. I've worked on too many 6.0's to tell you it might be fast out of the box, might be faster after a good build, but reliability----NO WAY. It doesn't matter what model year you buy, the 6.0 comes out of the factory with too many potential problems that have to be tended to 1st before you can go & fully modify it. Don't take this offensively. I'm not trying to start a fight. But to say a built 7.3 can't handle the same power or more than a built 6.0 can is blasphemy.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:48 AM
Premium Member

Re: Considering a full build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarRider View Post
In all due respect: the 7.3 is not practical as an 800hp motor??? Well, maybe not 800, but SCUFFY828 has an '03 F-350 7.3L built mid to high 700s & he continues to push it to the limit. I'd either build up a 7.3 for it's reliability(yes- far more reliable than a 6.0), or go with your other advice & build a Cummins up & drop it in. I've worked on too many 6.0's to tell you it might be fast out of the box, might be faster after a good build, but reliability----NO WAY. It doesn't matter what model year you buy, the 6.0 comes out of the factory with too many potential problems that have to be tended to 1st before you can go & fully modify it. Don't take this offensively. I'm not trying to start a fight. But to say a built 7.3 can't handle the same power or more than a built 6.0 can is blasphemy.
Not too sure about that. Right now in my area 7.3's are like gold. Everyone is stuck on the stereotype that the 6.0 is a horrible engine with too many problems, therefore you can pickup a 6.0 with less miles and years newer for the same price if not cheaper than a 7.3.

With that being said, you're planning on doing 800 rwhp, you're going to basically address all the issues with the the 6.0 when you're doing that, ie head studs, oil cooler, injectors and egr delete. 7.3 has a weak tranny and while I'm not saying a 6.0s stock tranny will handle 800hp the 7.3 usually goes in stock form. The way I think of it is you can basically bulletproof a 6.0 for around $2500 easy, that's the same amount if not less than a tranny will cost in a 7.3.

Kind of all jumbled together but just my opinion. You will be able to get a 6.0 at 800hp much easier than a 7.3. Not saying either isn't possible, just some food for thought.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 01-22-2013, 09:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'd still like to do a 7.3 for the fact that is my sons favorite model year and engine I'd be going crazy built rods everything nothing would be left to chance. With trying to get those kind of numbers would I be better off with s signal turbo or go with a twin setup.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

These are good ideas being tossed around And I don't believe 6.0s are junk myself if there done right I would have to see what my boy would want to do but there would be nothing left to spare trans would be built, bullet proff motor and built rearend. I will toss these ideas around with my boy when I get home so keep the ideas coming I'd really like to keep this discussion going
Old 01-22-2013, 09:59 AM
The Screwy HEUI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korx View Post
Not too sure about that. Right now in my area 7.3's are like gold. Everyone is stuck on the stereotype that the 6.0 is a horrible engine with too many problems, therefore you can pickup a 6.0 with less miles and years newer for the same price if not cheaper than a 7.3.

With that being said, you're planning on doing 800 rwhp, you're going to basically address all the issues with the the 6.0 when you're doing that, ie head studs, oil cooler, injectors and egr delete. 7.3 has a weak tranny and while I'm not saying a 6.0s stock tranny will handle 800hp the 7.3 usually goes in stock form. The way I think of it is you can basically bulletproof a 6.0 for around $2500 easy, that's the same amount if not less than a tranny will cost in a 7.3.

Kind of all jumbled together but just my opinion. You will be able to get a 6.0 at 800hp much easier than a 7.3. Not saying either isn't possible, just some food for thought.

I understand what you're saying & I agree. I didn't say it'd be cheaper by any means(believe me! I'm still paying LOL), but 800hp I don't believe is out of the 7.3's realm. The other thing that got under my skin is that the 2nd poster had said the 7.3 isn't reliable under high HP. Once again, SCUFFY's 7.3 has made many 6.0's eat his dust & I've seen other with some serious HP & they're still on the road today. As far as the transmissions.....I agree with you 100%. I can't put up an arguement about the Torqshift compared to the 7.3's 4R100. I just blew mine recently(intermediate bearing) & did a full performance rebuild to hopefully not have to worry about it. The Torqshift is by far superior to the 4R100. I don't think the 6.0 is a horrible engine, I just think there's too many problem areas they face compared to the 7.3s. I've had to fix enough of them.

I appreciate the friendly argument, Korx. A lot of times, coversations like this turn ugly & I appreciate you being cool when stating your fact & opinioN
Old 01-22-2013, 10:00 AM
Premium Member

Re: Considering a full build.

I just think it will end up costing you more to build a 7.3 than a 6.0. But it's matter of opinion I guess, totally up to you.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:03 AM
Premium Starfish Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
No offense taken - I knew someone was going to say that - hence why I said "bullet proofed" 6.0
Should probably update that to be 'bomb proofed' really.

Never said it can't be done at all. While the 7.3 is a good work horse motor and can be built as speeder, Hitting 800hp at the wheels is an "Expensive" task.
But to get 700 (or as the OP stated 800+HP) at the rear wheels, even with the parasitic power loss from the rest of the drive train you're going to be looking at closer to 900hp at the crank.

Even budget building a motor for that magnitude - is going to cost a minimum $15k I would speculate.
And yea - even a built 6.0 will be pricey. I just know a couple people that have the 6.0's that have been prepped to hand that HP, and it cost less to do it compared to the 7.3's.
And even cheaper for the most part for the cummins since there's so many of them out there...
That was my point I was trying to make.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.