glow plug replacement question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2007, 01:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Wink glow plug replacement question

Hi all, I've been reading this forum for a while and found out pretty much everything I needed to know. my truck has 82k and it is time to replace my glow plugs, i have no choice. My ? is this: I bought the glow plugs @ autozone for $2.99 ea, but when I ordered the valve cover gaskets (not in stock) and found out the price, i just about passed out. $155.00 EACH!!!
is there any way of reusing the old ones or do i have no alternative but to buy new ones? Thanks to all of you, I've learned a lot about my diesel by just reading your forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2007, 02:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

The valve cover gaskets are reusable make sure they dont look hot or melted. Look at the harness under the valve cover make sure it is not burnt.The glow plugs sound cheap make sure they are the same, Ive heard that they dont last very long. I use IH glow plugs they are cheaper than Ford.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:40 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to gbear
If you do need the valve cover gaskets, you can get genuine ford gaskets online from Bob Utter Ford in Sherman Texas for about $53.00 each.
I have saved a lot of money getting parts from them.

Jim
Old 11-20-2007, 04:35 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

IH has them for $27 don't ever go to Ferd for parts like this. But as already said you can reuse them if they are in good shape. What kind of GP's did you buy? Don't use anything but the OEM units, the others will not last. Bosch are probably the worst. They should run between 8-10 bucks a piece.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hi NCHornet, I've read on this website autozone has motorcraft brand gp's #zd11 which were in stock. I would really like to have some gaskets on hand when i do the job, lest i would be grounded if they are unusable. I will call a navistar garage to see if i can pick some up. Thank you so much for the info. That is a much more reasonable price than $155.00 ea!! Have a Happy Thanksgiving! Clancy
Old 11-20-2007, 08:02 AM

On the topic of Glow Plugs... would the guys that have replaced them suggest that we get the GP's from an International Dealer versus any other auto-supply place?
Old 11-20-2007, 08:31 AM
Shaking the Bush Boss

just changed my glow plugs two weeks ago, the truck has 195000+ on her. as far as i know, the glow plugs had never been changed. the gaskets are resuable, and i didnt have a problem with mine. i would look at the harness connectors in the gasket, to be sure they are not burnt, corrodid, or have any bent pins, before i went and spent more money buying unneeded gaskets. i got my glow plugs from autozone, #zd11. i think they were $2.68 apiece.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:01 AM

Did anyone test there GP first with the OTC tester that plugs in to the harness so you can Ohm them . or just replacethem reguardless.. I have 134k on mine.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

With regards to the Glow plugs, does anyone have any type of instructions for replacing the glow plugs? I can't see spending $700 for a mechanic to do this. I have a 2000 350 with 196K on it with the original Glow plugs. It is getting harder and harder to start. I think it is time for new plugs.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

hi klingerman, here is what I found on a diesel mechanic's web page Glow plug removal:
This is a straight-forward service. After removing the valve covers and unplugging the glow plug(s), loosen the glow plug a couple of turns (10mm deep socket, 1/4" drive). Then push a 4-6" piece of vacuum line over the end of he glow plug and use the hose to unscrew and remove it. Use the hose to install and screw in the glow plug, then tighten with the socket. The socket will contact the rocker arms if used to remove the glow plug. If the glow plug is difficult to turn you may be able to loosen it by working it back and forth--turn counter clockwise one turn then clockwise half a turn--until it turns freely enough that it can be loosened with the hose. If the glow plug probe is severely carboned up or swollen, the barrel may screw out of the head leaving the probe stuck in the hole. In this instance you may be able to remove the probe by removing the adjancent rocker arm and push rod to gain enough room to get ahold of the probe with a pair of needle-nose pliers. Have someone hold the pliers to prevent the probe from falling into the cylinder and use a long punch to loosen the probe by tapping it down. Once the probe is broken loose, work it up and down in the hole until it can be pulled out--some WD 40 or other solvent may help to loosen any carbon on the probe once it can moved, just remember not to use too much and to remove any residual by cranking over the engine with the glow plug out. You may be able to dislodge the seize probe by cranking over the engine, just remember to reinstall the rocker and pushrod if removed, and place a blanket or fender cover over the glow plug to keep it from shooting out. If the probe falls into the cylinder or cannot be loosened, the head will have to be removed to extract the probe. To prevent damage, remove all the glow plugs on the head to be removed and install them after the head has been reinstalled.

Other advice can be found on Intellidog.com
Hope this helps. Clancy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.