Keeping my truck warm... thoughts? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 02:56 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Keeping my truck warm... thoughts?

I am just curious if this is a common thing or if i might have a t-stat which doesnt close all the way... or just opens to soon now.

Living in montana, its cold, a LOT. My truck starts great and runs awesome in the cold, only issue i have is litterally any time i drive below freezing(not that cold) is the EBPV is always shutting trying to keep warm, it functions fine as if i give it throttle it hops open and same with going to idle.

I can drive around for an hour in town, let it sit and idle, it never stays warm, coolant temp is in operating temp but below center of range (summer position) it just seems like the thing cant get itself warm even for long periods of driving. I wouldnt mind but driving with the EBPV active ALL the freakin time makes for some bad milage! feels like the brakes are on. Also, truck warms up just fine as far as speed, 5 miles and shes blowing hot air and in operating temp.

Just seems strange that it cant get warm enough to shut the valve off unless im driving straight up hill with a trailer on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2013, 06:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
possibly your ebpv bad???
Old 01-20-2013, 07:01 PM
Winning DUHHH

Plugged EBP tube, or failed sensor or both

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-20-2013, 07:25 PM

Location: Lowville, New York. Studying Mechanical Eng. @ Suny Canton
try replacing the stat to see if that helps it isnt that hard to do probly half hour job other then that your EBPV tube could be plugged or have a leak.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:52 PM

ebpv tube is clean, sensor is damn near new....

after finding out the parameters to keep the valve from staying on, EOT above 168* or something.. gonna grab a new 203* stat to see if keeping the engine nice and hot will help warm the oil up more. i bet im only hitting 140-150 ECT cruising around most of the time so no way the oil is ever gonna get warm enough, expecially with the exposed oil cooler.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:59 PM

Also, check the pressure from the coolant cap! If the coolant cap doesn't hold around 16psi, then your boiling point is WAYYYY below specs.

Sent from my AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 01-22-2013, 03:17 AM

Does your truck automatically go into high idle? Truthfully I noticed no difference with warm up time switching to a 203 t-stat.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski-dooin it View Post
ebpv tube is clean, sensor is damn near new....

after finding out the parameters to keep the valve from staying on, EOT above 168* or something.. gonna grab a new 203* stat to see if keeping the engine nice and hot will help warm the oil up more. i bet im only hitting 140-150 ECT cruising around most of the time so no way the oil is ever gonna get warm enough, expecially with the exposed oil cooler.
I was having the same problem living just North of you in Saskatchewan. Now my oil and coolant temps stay 170-200*, city-highway. First thing I did was make a grille block off with some flexible plastic board, painted black and screwed it to the header panel behind the grille to block off some cold air from the bumper up. 2nd, make sure the clutch fan isn't sticking on all the time. Finally I handed over a couple bucks to Bob at DieselSite for his 203* T-stat and billet housing (a nice compliment to my coolant filter system I already have from him). Truck runs much warmer, and with the grille block off, warms up quite a bit faster. Averages 165 (on real cold days) - 190* just idling around town, and 190-203* on the highway.

Also, I have been running with the EBPV unplugged now for 2 years. You can try unplugging the little harness from the turbo pedestal. The slight increase in warm up times might not be worth the amount it's dragging your mileage down . . . just a thought!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxfever090 View Post
Does your truck automatically go into high idle? Truthfully I noticed no difference with warm up time switching to a 203 t-stat.
I believe he's just looking for a higher overall ECT & EOT temps.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to rufushusky
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper_101 View Post
I was having the same problem living just North of you in Saskatchewan. Now my oil and coolant temps stay 170-200*, city-highway. First thing I did was make a grille block off with some flexible plastic board, painted black and screwed it to the header panel behind the grille to block off some cold air from the bumper up.
I live in an area WAY warmer than either of you guys but I have a winter front for my truck as well. Keeps the coolant, oil and trans fluid all in operating temp ranges in "colder" days for me. Although my trans temp still stays pretty low cause of my 6.0 trans cooler.

I got the Cabela's one, really easy install and works great.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:20 PM

Hmm.. i guess i never had any luck finding a winter front last time i checked, but probably the easiest idea. i like how they look. once it FINALLY gets warm if it ever does. im fine. was working it pretty good last weekend (stuck in the snow) and it stayed nice and cozy at normal idle rpm with the no airflow around the motor!! lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.