How much difference in a new tranny? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2007, 06:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How much difference in a new tranny?

My brother is thinking about having the tranny built in his truck. He has a 01 7.3 and he is going to put a recon tq. converter, alto rebuild, transgo shift kit, bigger pan and a new cooler. He will be getting TW tunes with it and he was wondering if would be a big difference from stock. So I thought I would ask you guys, so let me have it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2007, 04:00 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

My honest advice is as follows.
Make sure you have gauges, which includes a trans temp gauge.
Increase cooling capacity to a V10 or a 6.0 cooler.
Install a VB on the trans.

Get your tunes and drive the thing. If the trans fails call John Woods or Brian at BTS and get a real tranny. All of the parts you bought can be used on the new trans. Trying to make a "built" trans without a rebuild is impossible. BTS is going to run $4,000 +, but you have probably the best trans you can buy for the PSD. John Woods is now doing excellent quality rebuilds for around $2,800. If mine goes I would love to get a BTS, but that's a lot of change!!! If you don't sled pull and race every Ricer you see I believe the John Woods unit will take care of you nicely.
The above is just my opinion and what I have done on my own truck.
If you really want a new TC get one from a 6.0 for around $400
Old 11-19-2007, 11:05 AM

Well its not for my truck, its my brother's and he doesn't have the money for a BTS or John Wood tranny. So he is looking for a "budget" tranny. I am not sure but I think he said today that John Wood is on vacation so he wasn't able to ask about his rebuild. Heck for 2800 I might be interested too.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:39 PM

Tell your brother its cheaper and easier to do it right the first time. Thats my advice and from my sig you can see what I would go with.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:47 PM

Hmm well really a BTS is out of the question, just cant afford. We are both sitting here wondering if anyone has had any luck with a cheaper rebuild?
Old 11-19-2007, 08:50 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Blue01F250 Send a message via Yahoo to Blue01F250
Tell him to just run his trans until it goes (all the while saving the $$$ he woulda spent), then buy a BTS or JW
Old 11-20-2007, 04:08 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

BTS has a huge following on many forums and if mine ever goes out that is what I would want to put in. However some of us are "married with children" and 4 grand+ for a new trans would equal a divorce real quick, jking, as I said before a JW trans I am sure would meet your needs and he builds a good solid trans at a reasonable cost, he just doesn't have the following yet of Brian, and I am sure he doesn't use as many billet parts that Brian custom makes. There really is no comparison between the two, depends on how you use your truck as to what you need. I am positive a JW trans would treat me well. If you are doing tractor pulls once a month at the local fair grounds and hitting the strip the other weekends than buying from Brian would be a good idea. They both have awesome customer service.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:20 PM

Well we will have to look into JW after this weekend, but we are looking at 2300 total to build a good tranny with. Labor is free due to having a good mechanic friend helping us.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:09 PM

Contact Larry @Discount Power Parts, he gave me a list last week for a tranny rebuild . Here it goes Alto red eagle power pack,trans-go hugger-hds, trans-go4r100-lu converter lock, derale trans cooler, recon triple disc converter and a deep tranny pan. The grand total with out shipping is $1642. Hope that helps. He said it would easily handle up to 500 horse. I have 5" exhaust, Mac intake and soon to be TW tunes. He said that should put me in low to mid 300 horse.

Last edited by silverF250; 11-20-2007 at 05:12 PM. Reason: forgot stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.