quiet hissing passenger no low end torque - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 03:48 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
quiet hissing passenger no low end torque

I recently did the zoo dad mod. I just have stock intake and exhaust. I noticed a difference. not huge but gained low end torque and was real happy for the difference. truck just seemed to breath easier and performe better. again not huge but definitely noticeable. I then cleaned my ebp sensor and tube and lost the new power. Now I hear a low hissing noise coming from my passenger side when I hit 1500 or higher rpms. goes away soon as I let off the gas pedal. comes back as soon as I hit 1500. Any ideas? thanks. oh yeah. new power has not returned
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2013, 08:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Re: quiet hissing passenger no low end torque

Ebpv probably. Got the ebp sensor/tube back on right?

I made my Samsung SGH-I997 send this.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:12 PM

tube and sensor is back on right. i cleaned it again today. found a little more crud i missed. its clean now. how do you check the sensor if its good. would that cause anything if it was bad? you say ebpv. that is something seperate from the tube and sensor isn't it?
Old 01-20-2013, 08:39 AM

The ebpv is the exhaust back pressure valve. A flap just after the turbo, and before the down pipe. Used for warm ups.
You'd have to read live data from the exhaust back pressure sensor to see if it's reading the right pressure.
When is it hissing like this? All the time/cold temps/cold motor/warm?
Old 01-20-2013, 01:44 PM

its cold here right now. 10 above maybe during the day. its not the loud hissing I've read about with the ebpv. its barely audible but noticeable. a hissing or air leaking sound soon as i hit 1500 or above. I have a manual so I'm right there between 1500 and 2000 all the time. Also i just found a bolt missing on my turbo pedestal. tearing into that right now.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:50 PM

Re: quiet hissing passenger no low end torque

If it does it with the truck only warning up, I bet it's just finally working right

I made my Samsung SGH-I997 send this.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:54 PM

does not do it when its warming up. only when i reach 1500 rpms while driving. ??? I don't know. major rookie. trying to learn. i have a truck that runs and sounds great. been problem free. I just want to get a little more out of it. so here I go. doesn't seem to be the LOUD HISSING everyone is talking about with the ebpv. thanks for the input. would take more.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:22 AM

mine does the same thing until my operating temp gets around 145-147 degree range. From what I have read that is normal, it is trying to warm itself up.

Heating the cab also pulls some of the heat the motor is trying to keep. I read in another thread that if you set your dials to MAX AC and full hot, it will recirculate the cabin air causing less heat to be taken out of the cooling system. The AC unit will not kick on because of the temperature.

when the hissing starts does it go away if you roll on the throttle? Like I said mine does the same thing, it hisses and no boost until it hits about 145. If I roll on the throttle the hissing will stop and I will then see some boost pressure as well, as soon as I go back to normal throttle the hiss will come back until I hit the temp that is required to open the valve. I believe computer uses air temp and operating temp to determine if it should be closed or not. Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I think the sensor for the air box reads the air temp and if it is removed the EBPV will no longer be engaged, although it might throw a code, I haven't tried it. Once someone else chimes in and says this is correct you can try it and see if your hissing goes away. Or watch your operating temp and see if the hissing is still occurring when you hit 150 degrees.

Last edited by JBeaz; 01-21-2013 at 06:31 AM. Reason: added a little more
Old 01-21-2013, 08:13 PM

I think your right. when it warms up in the afternoon weather wise it stops. so i'm thinking its the ebpv and I don't have sensitive ears. i can hear it but it doesn't bother me other than not knowing what it is. thanks for the input
Old 03-06-2014, 05:33 PM

I've noticed the same thing, pretty much to the T. I'll let it go, then. Seems to be a normality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.