7.3 Prices will anyone tell what they're really selling for? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 11:09 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 Prices will anyone tell what they're really selling for?

I had an 01' that I sold five years ago, loved that truck, it was so awesome! But I got a job where I had to commute and it made no sense and I could not afford to have two vehicles, so I sold it and got a car that "made sense," it sucked! Things are different now, I have a few more bucks so I thought I would get another one, for towing boats and going to the HD for house stuff. Not really going to be my main driver but I still want a nice one. Seems like nice ones are over 20k, I thought they would be cheaper now than five years ago, the opposite seems to be the case. Are the 7.3 trucks getting to be like the 65 Mustang, or are people just dreaming (maybe a mixture of both). What's up, fill me in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2013, 12:03 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
If the EPA keeps cracking down on the new trucks and leaves the old ones alone, then yes. If CA does what I suspect they will eventually do and force all commercial diesels, ie every pickup, to meet new emissions standards, then eventually many other states will adopt the same policy and we will all be screwed.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Re: 7.3 Prices will anyone tell what they're really selling for?

Prices can be ridiculous on these trucks. Its going to take a while of shopping and maybe some traveling to find a good one in a decent price range.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:42 PM
Premium Starfish Member

Yep, It's an EPA issue helping to keep the value of the 7.3's up.
Since the majority of the 7.3 didn't have a catalytic system and no EGR - anything from late `03 on up when the new emissions stuff kicked in - required it.
Especially now if you saw the thread how the EPA went after EDGE for their DPF issues, and now pretty much making it illegal (not totally yet, but soon) to even do a DPF Delete.
I'm not even interested in selling my EX, and someone made me an offer I almost couldn't refuse
I don't think I could take less than 20k for mine.

Edit:
But on the flip side, if you're capable of doing some of your own work on it, you can find some good used trucks that need some TLC, for $12k or so, and then spend say $5k in repairs.

Last edited by AzPatMan; 01-19-2013 at 02:48 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:57 PM
Premium Starfish Member

here's a couple that could be a heck of steal right now.
Ford : F-250 7.3L DIESEL in Ford | eBay Motors

Ford : F-250 Lariat 4X4 7.3 Liter in Ford | eBay Motors

102k Miles!!! for $15k!!.. that's about perfect!
Ford : F-250 XLT CREW CAB 7.3L TURBO DIESEL SHORT BED 2WD in Ford | eBay Motors
Old 01-19-2013, 03:23 PM

Took me almost a month to find a 7.3 that was in decent shape and not break the bank. This may not seem like long for some, but I have to have a truck for work(or van, uh no!) so it seemed like an eternity. I looked on CL everyday morning and night. I wanted a CCLB ZF6 4wd. I finally had to give up on having a long bed and went to look at a CCSB with the ZF6 that the owner was asking 12k for. Got it for 9300. Had 157k mi's. Needed 1k or so of work so I'm into it for 10.5 roughly. Truck is a 2 blocker from a looks perspective. It isn't beat to heck, but its no cherry either. It gets the job done and looks decent.

Point is this, you can find a good deal it just takes time. The truck I bought had been listed for a few weeks. After checking it out and determining it was acceptable for me I offered the fellow 9k for it. He said he couldn't take anything less than 10.5. I stated that it needed about a grand in front end work and some other things as well. Also that he had had it listed for quite some time and there aren't any banks that will loan 10k for a 12 year old truck. I had cash and could make it go away, and did.

So, if you have cash take a few weeks checking local ads and hopefully you'll find a good truck that has been listed for a while and hasn't sold. Also, print off the ads, sometimes they are timed out but the truck hasn't sold yet.

Good luck.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

High and gonna get higher

I bought an 02' ext cab 4x4, 6mo ago with 160k on it for 12,000. It needed some work, high pressure oil pump, couple of sensors, tires, etc. I have dumped some $$ into it, but it is still worth what I paid for it.
I know an older gentleman that has one of the last 02', early 03' with 7.3 in it that all he does is drive to the coffee shop with it since he quit farming 2 yrs ago. I am 1st in line when he wants to sell it. Oh yeah it has 105,000 on it. CREAM PUFF!!
Old 01-19-2013, 05:20 PM

I bought mine last Feb with 130,000 miles and paid $11,500. Only complaint is it's blue with blue interior...But I love it other than that. Body is in good shape too. Btw, mine was 100% financed. Some banks will still loan on older trucks.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:35 PM

Re: 7.3 Prices will anyone tell what they're really selling for?

I bought my 01 cclb lariet with 169k in almost prefect condition for 15k , would like to have paid less but I'm very happy with it. I looked for six months for this thing they don't last long here in mn.

Sent from my LS670 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 01-19-2013, 05:36 PM

Recently sold my 03 f 250 SCSB w/115 for 15.5. Xlt w/a lot of options. 4x4 with manual lockers and floor shift T/C.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.