Mpg - Page 2 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 08:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mpg

I bought a SCT programmer it was $420 for the tuner and the set up, I had a bunch of oil leaks in the valley so I bought a complete o ring kit, it had the turbo pedestal seals then I bought a turbo rebuild kit for about $90 it had seals and bearings etc. (My turbo had leaks and was missing some bolts) I bought a wicked wheel and it was $70, I did a ebpv delete which I gutted the pedestal and plugged it and reinstalled it with new o rings. I also removed the flap from the exhaust side of the turbo and plugged it also this cost about $40 for plugs and taps etc., I installed a diamond eye exhaust system w/ straight thru muffler $275 or so with tip (got on sale) I bought gauges for the pillar, boost , transmission temp. And exhaust temp. These are very necessary to monitor everything. This was about $260 I also did a 6637 cold air intake with a 4" long piece of leftover exhaust, a 6637 air filter from Napa and a 5" clamp. $45
I checked my mileage again this morning and running the 90 hp tune and driving mixed city and hwy and driving like a bat out of hell I got 16.93 mpg and that is driving 75 -80 at times 2000 rpm mostly

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 08:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mpg

I forgot to add I went to 5w-40w synthetic oil being I finally got my leaks sealed up.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mpg

Oh and by the way my mileage figures on the first post was on the 45hp tune, it seems to get better on the 90hp if I would slow down and drive conservative.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:46 AM
Premium Starfish Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Depending on stop and go - I've easily got up to 16mpg in the city, and over 20mpg on the highway.
Stock tune - just a CAI and 4inch exhaust.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I averaged 16-17 from Oklahoma to Virginia about a week ago with a dp tuner, 8' lift 38's 6637 intake, straight pipe, ect...
Old 01-17-2013, 09:28 AM
The Screwy HEUI

17mpg is my all-time average for highway. There was this one time & one time only I got 19.4mpg on a trip from Smithfield, RI to Newark, NJ(303.2mi round trip) & since then I've NEVER have been able to get even close to that ever again. I started the trip off with a full tank & when I got back, I had a hair below 1/4 & was able to finish the tank off with 344.1mi. total.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:33 AM
Premium Starfish Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by balzer_brett View Post
I have a 01 ext cab lb 4x4. 3.73 gears. I can't get more then 13mpg out of it. I have a buddy with excursion same year he can get 18 easy. Is this common? What am I missing? What are you guys averaging?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
I'd start by looking at this Video - Trey does a good job covering it.
the EPBS tube and Sensor are a good and easy starting point
Old 01-17-2013, 02:13 PM

Mpg

Thanks everyone for the input. I do have gauges etc already. I did have the 6637 napa filter too for awhile. I think I will be going back to it. Also doing a ebpv delete. Thinking a wicked wheel would be nice. But I will need to see what others say about it. The little bit I've read there are mixed reviews.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-17-2013, 02:34 PM
Premium Starfish Member

The WW in a stock housing just help's to cure the surge issue - nothing really for economy about it...
I heard you will loose a couple pounds of boost - but nothing major.
It's a quick fix if your doing a bit of towing and not planning on upgrading the turbo anytime soon.
But if you're planning on a turbo upgrade - save the $$
Old 01-17-2013, 02:43 PM
Serving Our Country!

I have an 01 xcab short bed 4x4. I get between 14-16 city and 17-21 hwy depending on time of yr. Last trip from AL to SC 450 miles in Sept I got 19.5 going up and 20.3 coming back all hand calculated filling tank to the top (who knew over 12 gallons will go in the top quarter of the tank including the neck). That was driving very very conservatively and coming back I went through the hills in NW GA and NE AL.
Next trip from Huntsville AL to Nashville to Chattanooga and back with driving in both cities in TN, I got right around 18 because of the hills and the little bit of city driving.
I have AFE stage II, CFM+ manifold, intake air heater delete, mbrp 5in tb exhaust and canned tunes but I have got my best on stock tune or eco tune with low boost response turned down to use less fuel. Going to be getting ebpv delete pedestal combined with 38r and high flow outlet and bellowed up pipes so once I do a long trip with those I wll post numbers. I also run the tires in my profile pic which are 267/75R16 Nitto Terra Grapplers with 80psi in front and rear (bumpy but they roll good).
I think it really depends on how patient you are because I have gotten as low as 16hwy and as high as 22. The best fuel economy mod is a very light foot. O yea I run DIESEL KLEEN every tank too it seems to add about 1 maybe 2 mpg depending ont the conditions. My truck seems to run best in the fall and spring months

Last edited by USMC2001PSD7.3; 01-17-2013 at 02:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.