No Start, No Turn Over Clunk noise - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 02:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No Start, No Turn Over Clunk noise

I have an early '99 and when I go to start it all i get is a clunk. No turn over, nothing. It's done this before- the first time I put a jump pack on it and it fired up. Everything was fine for three or four weeks. It did it again, jump pack didn't help waited calmed down tried it again without jump pack and it fired right up. Figured it was the batteries, went to autozone and bought two yellow tops. Everything fine for a couple days, now it's back to the no start, no turn over clunk when I turn key to start. It didn't do this before I had the stealership put my ATS Five Star in, and waited a while after to show up. Think maybe they put something in wrong and it's binding once in a while? I really need to figure this out, I'm supposed to pick up my fiance' from the airport on Fri. There is no ticking or any sound other than the clunk and sometime's fires up with no problem at all/

1999 Early F-250 auto trans
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 02:38 PM
Behavior Modificationist

Sounds like an issue I've had before (not with the PSD) where the starter internals were not lubricated and if I remember correctly, the bendix wouldn't allow the starter gear to align properly with the flywheel. It would strike the flywheel by the teeth and cause a nasty clunk.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So your pretty sure it's the starter? I don't mean to doubt I just want to be really sure, I just dropped $400 on batteries I didn't need and the fiance' was pretty cool about it I don't want to push it too far though lol
Old 01-16-2013, 09:58 PM
Behavior Modificationist

Just merely a suggestion. Without seeing it in person its hard to diagnose. Make sure you check all wiring from batts to starter and grounds. Check for anything that may inhibit conductivity. BUT from what youre stating and my past experience (although Im not a mechanic by any means), it sounds like the bendix is the problem. If all wiring looks good, good connections, grounds, etc then Id take the starter off and check it out. Look for any wear on the gear and flywheel (like I said it seems as though the gear is not properly meshed with the flywheel and youre hearing the gear hit flywheel teeth).
Old 01-17-2013, 04:48 PM
Serving Our Country!

Sounds like starter hitting flywheel also. Have someone do it while you lay under it. See if you can see where is is coming from. Maybe put your hand on starter and you can feel the shock of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.