I have an idea for a security device but i suck at wiring - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 08:46 PM
Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I have an idea for a security device but i suck at wiring

Ok so after reading several recent post about peoples trucks being stolen i came up with an idea that might help prevent that without spending several hundreds on a security system. but i know little to nothing about electrical systems. But my very neanderthal understanding i thought if there is some way to hook up the wiring for the starter to go into a switch mounted somewhere up under the dash hidden from view that i could switch off when i shut off the truck and back on when i want to start the truck.

That being said now its up to you guys to tell me im stupid and thats ridiculous, its ok i get it all the time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2013, 09:29 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
A buddy of mine that has had his vehicles stolen twice in two years but could not afford to put in a car alarm so he wired up a LED flasher to the resr view mirror and made official looking window stickers that just said "WARNING This vehicle has a Cobra GPS theft recovery system installed". It's been three years now since he's lost a vehicle.

Last edited by Term3; 01-15-2013 at 09:34 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Good idea I have done this on my 65 impala but ran a switch hiden under the dash that when's its on I have coil power but when off there is no power going to the coil.
There is numerous ways to go about this,my suggestions are
Kill switch to fuel pump
Main ignition power kill switch
Battery kill switch etc
There are plenty of write ups that will show you step by step how too on google.
Good luck
Josh
Old 01-15-2013, 09:33 PM

Just wire in a switch in line with the electric fuel pump (lift pump). This will keep fuel from reaching the engine. Flip the switch and no power. Just use it as a ground interupt switch. Hmm, now I wonder. What if you have a DPDT switch that in 1 postion allows the truck to run normal, then flip it, and if your truck is trying to start, say it honks your horn. So, like you run it to the the fuel pump in postion 1, then when its flipped, and the circuit is activated, it will sound the horn as long as the truck is cranking. then, you wire your Big A$$ train horns into that circuit. I guess then you would have to worry about a cleaning bill for the seats. All though, you then would have a DNA sample...... """"heading to garage to see what wires I have laying around""""
Old 01-15-2013, 09:38 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I like the train horn idea but if I was the guy that ended up with bleeding ears and deaf I'd probably come back to the truck and set it on fire. LOL
Old 01-15-2013, 09:52 PM
Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshF2Fiddy View Post
Good idea I have done this on my 65 impala but ran a switch hiden under the dash that when's its on I have coil power but when off there is no power going to the coil.
There is numerous ways to go about this,my suggestions are
Kill switch to fuel pump
Main ignition power kill switch
Battery kill switch etc
There are plenty of write ups that will show you step by step how too on google.
Good luck
Josh
Hmm i didnt think about the fuel pump, the only reason i thought the starter is so when they turn it over it doesnt do anything rather than them cranking it and cranking until they gave up, thus wearing out my starter and batteries, and i didnt want a battery kill because then my pcm has to relearn fuel settings everytime and my radio will reset everytime and thats the most annoying thing in the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by None2Slow View Post
Just wire in a switch in line with the electric fuel pump (lift pump). This will keep fuel from reaching the engine. Flip the switch and no power. Just use it as a ground interupt switch. Hmm, now I wonder. What if you have a DPDT switch that in 1 postion allows the truck to run normal, then flip it, and if your truck is trying to start, say it honks your horn. So, like you run it to the the fuel pump in postion 1, then when its flipped, and the circuit is activated, it will sound the horn as long as the truck is cranking. then, you wire your Big A$$ train horns into that circuit. I guess then you would have to worry about a cleaning bill for the seats. All though, you then would have a DNA sample...... """"heading to garage to see what wires I have laying around""""
Hmm that would be very interesting, if i wasnt wiring illiterate i might attempt something like that that would be like them turning on the alarm themselves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Term3 View Post
I like the train horn idea but if I was the guy that ended up with bleeding ears and deaf I'd probably come back to the truck and set it on fire. LOL
Well i dont have the full blown train horns but i have the wolo road warrior which is a little louder and more surprising than an oem horn which would be enough to scare the crap out of of the j-hole stealing my truck
Old 01-15-2013, 09:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by None2Slow View Post
That would be bad azz!! I have to do this when I get train horns.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:47 PM
Serving Our Country!

pull the relay for the starter or fuel pump, painless and no wiring necessary, put it back in when you want to leave.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:01 PM

If you do that, then you have to pop the hood and risk somebody watching you. Then they know that something under the hood was messed with and may figure it out. When you install a kill switch, dont just put it under the dash or the seat. Get creative. Most thieves have seen it before and know where to start looking. If they cant get it in a matter of a minute or so, there gone. A friend used a 4x4 activation switch on his lowered Chevy. They tried stealing it 3 seperate times and never got it. I think it did its job. Just to point out the obvious, it was a 2x4 truck
Old 01-17-2013, 02:01 AM
Serving Our Country!

I would consider a different place than under the dash, lets say someone gets into my truck first thing they are going to see are my 3 gauges that I installed in the dash, plus a switch and what appears to be another switch (rheostat for hi idle), they go to cranking and its not starting, they may start flipping switches and if it still doesn't start then they are either A. giving up or B. know you've been doing things to your truck...mmmm wonder if theres a switch under the dash??....bam, he gets it started and drives off. I'm sure there are quite a few variables in there but all I am suggesting is a different spot than under the dash
my security system is my glow plugs believe it or not.....i have 2 of 8 that work, takes about oh 20 minutes to get it started when its less than 30 deg...i would think a thief would have given up after 5 minutes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.