Romps when cold, no power until it has run 5 min - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 05:02 PM
WNY Biodiesel Co-op

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Romps when cold, no power until it has run 5 min

When my truck is not plugged in and below 28F, it will romp for about 15 to 30 secs then smooth out but won't have any power for a few minutes until it warms a little. This only happens the first start of the day , later in the day,after work , it starts with no romp but needs to warm a little before any throttle response. Glow plugs and relay are good ,about 2k on oil (Rotella 15-40). I have AE and will hook up cold this Sunday Am to see what HPOP is giving me. Less than 30K on injectors, HPOP about 20k ago, new IPR, ICP, EBPV in the last 20K. When its plugged in , no issues, starts fast, good throttle response. Just put in new batteries yesterday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2013, 07:40 PM
Serving Our Country!

mine did that "romp" as well, but since i went to a lighter oil it still does it but you hardly notice it, 15/40 in my opinion not a good idea in the winter.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:47 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasyF250 View Post
When my truck is not plugged in and below 28F, it will romp for about 15 to 30 secs then smooth out but won't have any power for a few minutes until it warms a little. This only happens the first start of the day , later in the day,after work , it starts with no romp but needs to warm a little before any throttle response. Glow plugs and relay are good ,about 2k on oil (Rotella 15-40). I have AE and will hook up cold this Sunday Am to see what HPOP is giving me. Less than 30K on injectors, HPOP about 20k ago, new IPR, ICP, EBPV in the last 20K. When its plugged in , no issues, starts fast, good throttle response. Just put in new batteries yesterday.
Rotella 15w-40 is non synthetic, right? I'm not sure how cold is "cold enough" to have problems, but non synthetic 15w-40 might do it at 28*.

I would guess it only does it in the morning because the next time you start it, the motor is still slightly warm. These motors take a LONG time to get back down to ambient temp. From full operating temp, I would guess close to 10 hours.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:19 PM
WNY Biodiesel Co-op

I have never had a problem with it doing the romp ,even at 10F and below. Now it does it at 28. When I got home today, after taking the car to work ,i had to start the truck to move it .35F and it starts right up but romps but not as violent as when its colder. So I hit my DP tuner up to the next tune and it smoothes right out. I'll get the ae on it Sunday and see what I find.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:51 PM
Serving Our Country!

Mine does it on occasion, especially when it has sit for several days in cold. Also it is sluggish when first driven until it gets some heat in it. Mine usually doesn't do it that long and if I give it a little gas when it starts it will smooth out quicker.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:49 AM
Serving Our Country!

I noticed today that it was in the mid 20's over night. I went to crank the truck this morning and took 2 "key cycles" before it would crank. It puffed more white smoke than usual also. Usually it is just one puff of white smoke but this time it puffed for a good 10 seconds.

May go to a lighter weight oil.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:36 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

fuel bowl heater working? could help, and mine does it real bad below 30 deg if its been sitting for a few days.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:54 AM
Serving Our Country!

I just went to crank it for lunch and its in the 30s and it had trouble cranking again. It has a new fuel bowl on it so I'm guessing a new heater also?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.